Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

school going age

re... : school going age           reply
22/02/2008 18:38 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
unlikely a school will take her if she is not 4, unless they are going to lose a teacher because of no.s . In my opinion it is very young to send a child anyhow.

re : school going age           reply
09/05/2008 11:21 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi,
Just saw that you already started a thread on this topic. I have the same problem. my son is born mid of september (he´s only 1 and 1/2 now) so i still have time to do something about it but i just definitively understand you. it is really a pity as you say that your child may be refused when she´s ready for school. i wish you best of luck in your search!

10/05/2008 12:49 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
yeh unfortunately she´ll be 5 startin skool.some skools cut of point is may n june ie the child has to be 4 by then so id say there´s alot of parents who are in the same situation.although a girl i know got her child into a skool and the child wasnt 4 til 8th of sept.so it depends on the skool.its a nightmare really.if they are ready for skool they shud be allowed start.

school going age           reply
21/02/2008 19:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
hi i live in clonsilla and i was wondering if any of the schools would accept my daughter if she wont be four til the 10th of sept.i feel she´s ready for school as she´s been in a creche since 9mths and is currently in Montessori.its a shame having to wait another year for the sake of ten days.any advice??

14/05/2008 19:49 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi. I sent my daughter to school when she turned 4 on 6th september. No problem as the school wanted the numbers. She is very bright and like that was at creche from 4 months and montessori. She was using a computer and reading before she went to school. I kept her back in 1st class as she was more immature and was in a large class of 35 and I felt she was a bit lost, not taking down her homework etc. most of the kids were turning 9yrs when she was 7yrs. She missed out on being in the same sports clubs as she was under 8 and they had moved on. She hated being the youngest and although she didnt want to stay back its the best thing ever. She never had any problem work wise although it did take a long time to get her to concentrate on her homework. Now I dont even have to check her homework and its done in 5 minutes. She is enjoying school for the first time. I definitely wont be sending my next child until she is 5.

re : school going age           reply
22/02/2008 18:23 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi,
The Board of Management guidlines and Department Guidlines state that a child has to have celebrated their 4th birthday before they can be accepted into school but these are just guidlines. I have seen a case that a child was 4 on 6th of September and was refused by one school but accepted by another. The best thing to do is to get an enrolment form and fill it out and explain to the school about your childs birthday and leave it in their hands. With schools bursting at the seams they can be very fussy with the age they accept pupils. Give it a try or ring around other schools to see would they accept your child.

22/02/2008 20:23 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I´m sure she is very bright, but still, I´d wait, think of her hitting secondary a full year or more younger than many of the others.The dept makes it very very difficult for a child to be kept back now so I´d just be wary..

22/02/2008 19:12 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
thanks for your advice elaine.your right in sayin one school will and others wont, my friend is a primary school teacher and said they would take her in their school just unfortuntaly its no where near us.i have applied to a few schools in the area so ill wait and see.
i dont think she´s is too young as she is very bright, knows how to write all her numbers and write her name so she´s flyin for a 3year old.thanks for the advice.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;