Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

my sons writing

my sons writing           reply
16/11/2008 14:19 - Miscellaneous
-----------------------------------
does anyone know how to get through to a boy of 8 about writing he just seems to scribble and i cant make out what it is he has written. i have sent him back to school without his maths homework been done because he /me cant read it

re : my sons writing           reply
19/11/2008 19:02 - Miscellaneous
What have you tried... is he open to bribery?!!! Sometimes the promise of a treat (small) if he writes 1 word clearly might work-let him stay up an extra 5 minutes, for example. Then up it to two words written clearly,change the treat (otherwise, if he really improves, he will be up all night!)and progress like that. Expecting him to go from messy to beautiful in a short while wouldn´t be fair to him, I think. With Christmas coming up and the letter to Santa to be written, it might lend a bit of weight to your argument to explain that if Santa can´t read the letter, heaven knows what he might bring! ;)

re... : my sons writing           reply
10/11/2009 16:24 - Miscellaneous
hi kerrymaid i know its a year on since i wrote this about my sons writing but he is in third class now and his writing has improved since last year its still a bit messy but its readable.

20/11/2008 09:22 - Miscellaneous
I had the same problem with my now 8 year old boy. When he was in 1st class his teacher was very relaxed and when I mentioned it to him at the PT meeting he said not to worry about it, neatness would follow. When he got to 2nd class at the PT meeting, which was early in the school year, his teacher said that he was great at everything else but his writing was letting him down, she suggested a reward system, he would do his writing in school in a special copy, she would correct it, he would take it home and he would get an extra treat, it worked wonders. He can do really neat writing, if he wants to, but he can be equally bad. I find when he is doing his homework, I am over his shoulder saying "neat, neat", I know he can do it when he wants to. His writing has improved a lot this year, I find when he joins his writing its neater.

re... : my sons writing           reply
20/11/2008 10:02 - Miscellaneous
thanks for that ill try the bribe and see if it works he wrote out his santa list and i had to tear it up 3 times because he wasnt writing in a straight line it was all to the right of the paper. thanks for getting back to me

26/11/2008 11:23 - Miscellaneous
Dying to know how you are getting on- let us know if you get the chance.
thanks!

01/12/2008 17:40 - Miscellaneous
Bad writing at this stage can be as a direct result of his fine motor skills being underdeveloped - get him to do lots of cutting out with a scissors and colouring in with colouring pencils as opposed to crayons. It´s amazing how once the motor skills develop the writing follows. HOWEVER boys particularly tend to "throw" things down on the page as opposed to taking their time over it and getting them to re-write it until it is legible is a GREAT deterrent!!!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;