Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

When should I start looking for childminder

When should I start looking for childminder           reply
05/03/2018 12:33 - Ask Mother Hen (Locality: Kildare)
-----------------------------------
Hello,
I´m a first time mammy looking for advice please.
My little boy is 12 weeks old..I hope to go back to work in September and I´m wondering when should I start looking for a childminder? Should they get to know my little boy before I go back to work ? Is this the way to go?
Probably silly questions but I´ve no idea how to go about this. Thanks x

re : When should I start looking for childminder           reply
06/03/2018 07:25 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
Congratulations.. If you plan using a registered childminder you should start looking immediately, childminders plan for the unborn/newborn. See who has a space and visit and see which individual, setting and policies & procedures suit you both best. Ask what the day will entail..planned activities etc. Do check their insurance cert and in date, esp car, first aid, check they are with childminding Ireland, your county childcare committee if they say they are, etc. Some check for references also.
Uninsured childminder (especially if her car needed as her car uninsured on the road with minded children on board) is a personal choice.
Good idea to visit creches too to contrast with and see if theyv a space. Again get a feel of the place.
A settling in period is a must. Start small and build up. It really depends on your baby and while its very hard on you you must prepare him for this big step. Make sure a sleep pattern has been well established before your first day of work (on a proper mattress in a proper cot or travel cot, not a buggy).

discussion forum terms & conditions

;