Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Unfriendly summer camps

Unfriendly summer camps           reply
08/07/2010 10:53 - Summer Camps (Locality: Mayo)
-----------------------------------
Recently in the Times there was an aricle about how so many summer camps are unregulated, no Garda vetting, over-crowded etc etc. My experience has been OK so far but I wish to warn you all about [Removed] in Westport. I booked my 7 year old for a week long day camp. They charged my account immediately and promised pony treking, water sports and treasure hunts.. 2 days before we go, I got a call to say there was no camp available for her age group but she could ´muck in´ on the older camp (11 - 16) and do archery and the like for the week (!!). When I objected I was treated to a host of reasons as to why they cannot reimburse me -Eventually a very aggressive woman rang me to say they don´t even accept 7 year olds in the first place and I am still waiting to be reimbursed.
This is a terrible case of camps just about getting bums on seats, grabbing your money and then doing the least possible for the kids. They had no problem accepting my money and an under-aged child to ´muck in´ when it suited them but when it didnt, my daughter was just a hassle to them. A very bad experience Be warned

re : Unfriendly summer camps           reply
09/07/2010 10:10 - Summer Camps
-----------------------------------
so sorry you had such a bad experience of summer camps. i have been running camps for the last 5 years in swinford and the children (and staff) have a wonderful time. we go swimming, days trips out to galway leisureland and aquarium, along with music and dance lessons too. dont be put off and keep looking you´re sure to find a good camp near you.
all the best

discussion forum terms & conditions

;