Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

St. Joseph's Primary School - Mardyke, Cork.

re... : St. Joseph´s Primary School - Mardyke, Cork.           reply
26/03/2009 22:42 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hey Derby. There´s another good local thread on : Moving to Cork - A good primary school near C.U.H. (Cork University Hospital) and U.C.C.. You might have a look at it, if you are interested. I got some good advice and insights there.

05/05/2010 13:25 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Just wondering how many children in the classes - are they big classes?

11/02/2009 17:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thank you for your help. I was thinking of sending my daughter to St. Catherine´s and my son to Glasheen Boys School. I am delighted to hear that a lot of people are doing that school run. Many thanks again. I heard that St. Catherine´s is a feeder school for Mount Mercy College.

Thanks again,

Sinead

05/05/2010 21:26 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thank you very much for your comments. I have a daughter who is starting in September 2010 in St. Catherine´s. I was thinking of sending my son to Glasheen Boys or St. Joseph´s. He will be starting in September 2011. This information is very helpful.

Thank you!

09/11/2009 12:40 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
hi orinoco, I don´t know much about Glasheen to be honest but I don´t really know of anybody who sent their child to saint joseph´s and weren´t thrilled with the results. A friend of mine also had a son there in the last couple of years who earned a full scholarship to Pres secondary and he was one of three or four in his class to achieve this. It proves that it holds high academic standards as well as being a friendly positve learning environment. the children in 6th class in st. Joseph´s recorded a cd in a recording studio last year and they were on 96fm for weeks and they´ve been very successful in GAA also. I wish you the best of luck in making the decision but it sounds like it´s a win win situation if Glasheen is as good as St. Joseph´s.

06/11/2009 15:39 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
St. joseph´s is a fantastic school. All the children i know that attended that school have nothing but positive comments to make about it. It´s much smaller than Glasheen and has a lovely friendly atmosphere. The children are treated with the utmost respect and are cared for the way you would hope your children would be. They come out of st joseph´s with great confidence and are well equipped for secondary school. they have a very strong traditon of sport and music and the teachers are excellent.

re : St. Joseph´s Primary School - Mardyke, Cork.           reply
18/10/2009 19:56 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Over rated. Built its name on the back of being a feeder school for Pres. which is no longer a certainity. Some of the teachers are very lazy more intrested in selling cars in class than teaching. Female teachers very good the rest excel at drinking coffee. Work ethic poor. Homework 10 min max
Irish - foreign language

06/11/2009 19:38 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
The real deal, I don´t know anything about St Josephs School so that´s good to hear the things you have said. Sometimes when somebodyelse has something negative to say it may be because that particular person may have had a negative experience but that does not mean that everybodyelse feels the same way about St Josephs school.
I have heard and experienced quite a bit about the other school you mentioned - that´s Glasheen. In your post, you made a vague comparison/contrast between the schools. I would have to say that speaking to present and past parents, they absolutely rave about Glasheen and speak so highly of the school, the staff, the facilities and the range of activities the kids are involved in. I have heard of the reactions of parents at the graduation ceremonies where they had tears rolling down their cheeks at the thought of finishing in Glasheen school and looking back on the wonderful years the kids had in the school. Most schools work really hard so unlike the other past pupil who spoke negatively about St Josephs, I´m glad to see that you have spoken positively. I know however that the parents of the children in Glasheen consistently speak in glowing terms of Glasheen school and are thrilled with how their kids are prepared for secondary school.

14/03/2009 21:39 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Which of the two schools is more modern? Which has better facilities? Was hoping to visit both in the coming weeks to see for myself. What about class sizes?

St. Joseph´s Primary School - Mardyke, Cork.           reply
11/02/2009 09:55 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Cork)
St. Joseph´s Primary School - Mardyke, Cork.

I have put my son´s name down in St. Joseph´s, Mardyke, Cork. I was wondering if anyone could recommend this school? My son will be starting in Sept. 2011.

I have his name down in Glasheen Boys School too. I was wondering which one is better?

Thanks a million

05/05/2010 21:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I visited the school and gathered at the time that the classes were large. Later, I discovered that a lady I knew, took her son out of the school and the reason she gave was because of the very large class he was in.
For what it´s worth, I have been doing a bit of research also and Glasheen Boys School seems to tick all the boxes I´m looking for. They were on the paper again recently winning more Cork Quizes and I know that they also won the school competition for The Port of Cork among several others. Various friends of mine have sons in Glasheen at the present and all rave about the standards, the supports, teachers and the environment.

re : St. Joseph´s Primary School - Mardyke, Cork.           reply
11/02/2009 16:57 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
My son is in Glasheen and my daughter is in St. Catherines. I really couldn´t say enough for both schools. There´s tremendous support in both schools, very dedicated staffs and welcoming, positive atmospheres. Both schools are progressive with many initiatives in progress. I´ve heard good reports of Glasheen Girls too. I could have sent my daughter there but at the time she had a good friend who was going to St. Catherines. We have never once regretted our choices of Glasheen Boys and St. Catherines. Several families have sons in Glasheen and daughters in St. Catherines so it works well for many of us. I don´t know much about St. Josephs. Good Luck with your decision!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;