Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Son put into pass maths in first year. Advice needed

Son put into pass maths in first year. Advice needed           reply
26/04/2017 17:01 - Education Cutbacks (Locality: Kildare)
-----------------------------------
Hi all,
This is my first time posting here so I´m not sure if I´m in the right section. My son started secondary school in September. My daughter is in 5th year so I am familiar with how it all works. However even though he is a very happy go lucky kid he struggled big time with the massive change from a small primary school to a very large secondary school. His grades are usually pretty good but as a result of his struggle to cope, his grades dropped in the first 3 months. His maths teacher did 3 tests on him in October and his average score over the 3 was 34%. I was shocked as his results are usually way higher than this. As a result the school put him into pass maths. I was so annoyed! They didn´t even give him a chance! They have decided that this is all he is capable of and now it will affect his CAO choices in a few years. I rang them and asked them to give him a chance to settle and then test him but they said that this is always how they assess their students and he wouldn´t be able for honours maths. At Christmas he got a result of 95%. I asked the teacher why was he still in pass with a result like that and she said it could have been a fluke and his overall average was still low enough. At Easter he got a result of 90%. I have emailed the teacher and asked her to meet with me this Friday. I am looking for some advice as to what to say in this meeting. I am so upset that they made this decision and now that´s where they expect him to stay. Does anyone have advice on what else I can do in this situation? I know other schools don´t make that decision until 3rd year. I´m worried that if he stays in pass too long he won´t stand a chance of being moved to honours. Any advice greatly appreciated.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;