Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Secondary school in Cork

re... : Secondary school in Cork           reply
13/04/2009 12:43 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
The best thing for you to do is to telephone the schools. I will look up telephone numbers and post them here.

10/04/2009 20:08 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Ballincollig is about 5 or 6 miles out from Cork City. Colaiste Choilm is a very large school but it is co-educational. If your son is reasonably bright, two years should be more than enough time for him on one of the foreign languages up to Junior Cert.
Due to the number of Russian immigrants in Ireland, Russian is now a subject in the Leaving Cert. I haven´t checked yet but I presume it´s also on the Junior Cert syllabus but very few do the subject. Your son may be able to get extra classes in the language of your choice or you could start doing some French in America before you come. I say French, as that seems to be by far the most common language studied in secondary schools here.
Do you have other children who will be attending school here as you mentioned, ´the whole family´? A certain amount depends on where you think you will be living. If your husband will be working in U.C.C., then you may wish to be convenient to there.
Are you definitely set on a Co-Ed school as many of the single sex schools are really excellent?

Secondary school in Cork           reply
09/04/2009 05:56 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Cork)
Hi,
We are moving from USA to Cork, can you advise us a good public, co-ed school in the area not so far from UCC?
Also if my son knows only English will he need to pass an exam in Irish at the end of Junior Certificate? He will be 14 on June and probably will go to a second year of Junior school.

re : Secondary school in Cork           reply
10/04/2009 18:05 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
You could probably apply for an exemption from the study of Irish if your son has not studied the language before. Most of the secondary schools near town are single-sex schools. There would not be any guarantee of getting a place in many of these schools. Also some are fee paying, while others are not. These are the kind of things you need to consider. I´m not aware of any mixed Second-level schools near U.C.C.. The nearest I can think of is probably Bishopstown Community School.

10/04/2009 22:37 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thank you,

I have only one child and he is very bright and athletic, he was doing competitive gymnastics for 3 years and now already for 3 years he is in a school wrestling team + judo(orange belt)
Here where we live there are only co-ed schools so he gets use to go to the schools with boys and girls...That;s why i think it´s a right decision for my son.
We want to rent a place in the district like Wilton, Bishopstown or Ballincollig I heard they are close to UCC, shopping center and etc.
I want our place to be close to my son´s school, that;s why I am thinking between Bishopstown Community school or Colaiste Choilim, Ballincollig.
Can you recommend either of these schools or another option?

14/04/2009 17:14 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I really hope that you will be able to relax, Lena and look forward to the move to Cork. Don´t let it stress you too much. I believe that the best thing you can do is to telephone the schools after next Monday. It seems very strange that the emails didn´t send, or were not replied to, if you sent them during term time. Once you establish contact with the school/s by email, they can advise you on how best to make contact after that. Good Luck!

14/04/2009 18:12 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Once you have decided on the school situation, things will be fine, I´m sure. U.C.C. is a place where hundreds of new staff come from abroad each year, with their families. Cork University Hospital nearby is the same. If you are still not happy, you could try talking to U.C.C., but it really shouldn´t be necessary.

12/04/2009 23:48 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I would say that Colaiste Choilm seems to have a very good name bit for where you will need to be based, it doesn´t seem like the answer. That leaves Bishopstown Community School and Ashton. I think Lynda´s suggestion of emailing the schools with the questions about which you are most concerned is a very sensible one. Once you have gathered the information you need, only you can make the decision.

10/04/2009 19:32 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Any reviews about Bishopstown Community school? I just know that it;s a small co-ed school, not so much information on their website.
And how far from UCC area is a Colaiste Choilm, Ballincollig school looks very good on their website.
Is Ballincollig another town near Cork or a district of Cork City?
Thank you

13/04/2009 12:54 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Ashton Secondary School : Tel: 00 353 21 4966044

Bishopstown Community School : Tel: 00 353 21 4544311

Colaiste Choilm, Ballincollig : Tel: 00 353 21 4873308.

These schools are officially on Easter holiday from 3rd - 20th April.

13/04/2009 14:09 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
That´s very good advice, Margaretb, re telephone numbers. I was just about to advise the same when I saw your posting. In terms of convenience, it seems like Ashton or Bishopstown Community would be good choices for you, Lena. Try emailing the schools again. You can always ring then and tell them, if you have not received a reply, that your email has been sent.
Some schools may use fax more so when you´ve made contact by phone, you can see what the preferred method of communication is.
The fact that schools are on Easter holidays is particularly relevant however. Even when they return to school on 20th, however, there may well be a backlog of emails and mail so it may take a few days to hear from them. Ring very early in the morning (your time) - 7 a.m. would be 3.00 p.m. over here. Alternatively, if you are a night owl, you could ring at 1.00 a.m. which is 9.00 a.m. over here.

13/04/2009 00:02 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Which websites have you looked up for rents? In the present climate, lots of people are negotiating rents as it is very much a renters market.

10/04/2009 23:46 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Ballincollig is a town outside of Cork City. You will need transport to get from there to U.C.C.. Colaiste Choilm is a large co-ed school and certainly has a good reputation. I don´t have the exact number but I think there are something in the region of 1,300 students! As it is large, it is likely to have a greater variety of extra curricular activities. I honestly don´t know much more about the school so if you are determined to opt for co-ed, perhaps somebodyelse who knows more about the school, or can suggest other options, would be able to advise. Best of luck and I hope everything works out for you.

13/04/2009 05:56 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I was emailing to Ashton school like one month ago and got no reply back and Bishopstown email always failed.
We only can come to Cork at the end of June because my son is graduating his middle school on June 15. I don´t know if I will have enough time to look around and find so quickly a school for my son.
I can´t come now either because in one week his Star tests are going to start.
I have no idea what to do?

discussion forum terms & conditions

;