Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Nice to Nasty in 3 seconds!!!!!

re : Nice to Nasty in 3 seconds!!!!!           reply
05/05/2010 07:58 - Introduce Yourself
-----------------------------------
Love your phrase "the queenager years". Haven´t heard it before but definitely describes young teenage girls. I´m no help to you as I´m in the same boat with a 13 yr old who is my oldest and lord are the mood swings hard work. Wasn´t cheered up any by the article in last weeks newspapers saying that research shows that girls are at their most difficult at age 14! Seems we have some rocky roads ahead. Hopefully some other mums will post with good advice on how to survive!

re... : Nice to Nasty in 3 seconds!!!!!           reply
07/05/2010 10:39 - Introduce Yourself
Hi All,
I love the phrase the "Queenage" years! It is very apt.

With regard to your daughter, while teenagers are going through a lot of changes physically and emotionally and we can ´excuse´ some mood swings, we certainly should never accept disrespect! There should be a very strong rule in your house around respect which has to be obeyed. We wrote a very good article on this subject some time ago and think that it would be of help to you in this situation. See http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/teenage-disrespect for the full article.
If the problem continues, it may also be worth looking at the pattern of your daughter´s mood swings. Is it PMS? If the swings seem to be around "that time of the month", you could discuss with a health shop to see if they can recommend some herbal or natural supplements to help her with this. The other option, if the mood swings continue and you feel it is related to her period, is to discuss this with your GP. He/She may be able to recommend something to help.
For extra help, you could consider attending one of our courses on parenting teenagers. Our next one is on 22nd of May -check our website for details.

Best of luck!

07/05/2010 10:37 - Introduce Yourself
hi, sounds like you have* been there* and proudly wearing the I survived teeshirt. It is definetly hard keeping rules in place,especially when they storm out doors!!! looking forward to easier days, albeit in 5 years time!!

Nice to Nasty in 3 seconds!!!!!           reply
04/05/2010 17:09 - Introduce Yourself (Locality: Meath)
HI, I am mother to a 13 year old girl,( feels more like 18). She is having serious mood swings and is unbelievably rude . I feel like i am walking on eggshells most of the time, i feel i am constantly trying to correct really bad attitude and suffering the consequences as a result. is this a phase, is there life for mothers after the childs teenage years, do we manage somehow to survive all this in one piece?help from anyone who has come through the queenager years please.

re : Nice to Nasty in 3 seconds!!!!!           reply
07/05/2010 16:42 - Introduce Yourself
I have passed the early teenage years, my daughter is 16. She is much easier to live with now than the 13/14 age phase. One good piece of advice is to keep your cool when she´s loosing hers! There is no point correcting her when she is angry/emotional. You can talk to her calmly about it later when she has cooled down. Taking a deep breath and counting to ten can help. Or walking away if things get very heated. You will survive! You obviously have a sense of humour and that is so important. It does get easier, believe me.

07/05/2010 10:28 - Introduce Yourself
thanks for the support, i know its a common problem but when you´re in the thick of it its easy to believe its just you!!! anyway theres always valium(just joking!!!)

08/05/2010 20:16 - Introduce Yourself
hi there- great to hear from someone who has experience of this. all advice is greatly appreciated, i certainly do try to keep the cool, sometimes it is very difficult, as you know. glad to hear things get better in a couple of years, thanks again

05/05/2010 22:17 - Introduce Yourself
We´ve all heard of the terrible twos but then there´s the terrible teens. The earlier they start, normally the earlier they pass. Have to maintain ground rules though.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;