Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Moving to Ireland, help please

re... : Moving to Ireland, help please           reply
13/11/2011 00:07 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi, and thank you for your help.
I know things in Ireland are a bit difficult at the moment, but they are much worse here in Portugal, that´s why we´re considering changing. My husband works in IT and he is in the process of being interviewed for jobs in Ireland, so we won´t move unless we have the economics figured out.
From what you said, I assume I´ll have to get my daughter in a private school until September so I´ll start looking unto it.
Could you just give me an estimation on how much those kinds of schools charge monthly? It would help a lot having an idea so we can plan our monthly budget and decide if the move is worth it. At the moment we´re paying 450€ per month for full-time school in Portugal. Should we expect to pay more in Ireland, even just for the mornings, or less?
Any insight any of you can give us will be much appreciated.
Thank you for all the help,
Catarina

re : Moving to Ireland, help please           reply
13/11/2011 10:05 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi Catarina
You can find a list of schools in the Dublin 18 region here on our site on http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Dublin-18
and other schools close by on

http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Dublin-south-county-dublin
There is also some information on pre-schools available on

http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Dublin-south-county-dublin

There are over 3000 primary schools in Ireland and less than one hundred of these are private fee paying primary schools. You will have to contact the schools you are interested in individually as there can be differences in application and enrolment procedures. As your daughter is only 4, there is still plenty of opportunity for her to start school in September 2012 and a local pre-school might be a good option to here her settle into her new environment. However, if you decide to defer her starting school here until Septemer 2012, it would still be a good idea to contact the schools you are interested in now o enquire about application procedures for those schools so that you don´t miss any closing dates for applications.
Hope this helps

13/11/2011 10:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I meant to mention that you can find a list of some of the private primary schools on our site on
http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-independent-primary

Moving to Ireland, help please           reply
11/11/2011 20:34 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hello,

Me and my husband are thinking of moving to Ireland with our 4 year old daughter in the beginning of next year. We´re looking for houses in Dublin 18, and also schools for our daughter. She´s in pre-school in Portugal at the moment and we would like for her to keep going to school when we move to Ireland.
My question is, since we´ll be moving in the middle of school year, will I be able to find her a place at a public school or will she have to go to a private school at least until September?
And if we end up having to place her in a private school how much should we expect to pay for 5 mornings a week?

I would be really grateful for any help and hints any of you can provide, to help us making this move easier on our daughter.

Thank you,

Catarina

13/11/2011 00:47 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
The private pre-schools referred to are NOT run by the State/Government& only a few are ´approved´ by them, although they are subject to fairly strict criteria & inspections.
These are people who have commercial interests and have set up in Childcare/Montessori as a business, so the quality of care can differ dramatically, as can the costs.
There is currently an ECCE scheme in Ireland entitling every child between 2.5 and 4.5 a ´FREE´ pre-school year, so depending upon eligibility criteria, your daughter may qualify for this. Its only STATE APPROVED childcare facilities which can offer these places and they are ´under subscribed´ and sought after (waiting lists).
Here are the names of some ´approved´ centres with websites & costs.You may want to email or call them for a chat!
Its been a long time since I used childcare but even then it was €30 per day & that was in the ´country´.Dublin were charging double that at the time so I reckon your costs may be more than €450 UNLESS you can get on the ECCE scheme.Check out the websites & google the forums for up-to-date info.
www.giraffe.ie
www.simbas.ie
www.brighthorizons.ie
www.beechwoodchildcare.ie
Good luck with it all
Regards
Les

17/11/2011 16:49 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thank you for the help so far.
My husband just got an offer of another job in Cork, so we´re trying to decide between Dublin and Cork at the moment.
Can anyone recommend a nice area to live in Cork? We don´t have anything against living in the suburbs, if that´s the most likely area where can get a good school for our daughter. She´s going to be five years old in March 2012, so its important to find her a good school, especially since she barely knows any English.
Once again, thank you for all the help you can give me,and I´ll be waiting for recommendations of schools/areas to live in Cork.
Catarina

re : Moving to Ireland, help please           reply
12/11/2011 21:32 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
HI there and good luck with the move to Ireland. The school year begins 1st September in Ireland until 30th June. Junior Infants (4 & 5 yrs old) are normally in school from a start time between 9am/9.20am to a finish time between 2pm/2.20pm each day.
If you´re daughter is only 4 yrs old & will also be learning a new language, my advice would be to seek out a good Pre-school or Montessori near to where you will be living in Dublin. These can operate daily from 9am to 12.30pm OR ALL day (some of that time being childcare rather than Montessori)
Most of these are privately operated & local schools or libraries in the area should be able to provide you with information. A website called rollercoaster.ie also has very good information & discussions about schools and pre-schools, including average costs.
That way it´ll give you time to get settled & your daughter a valuable insight (& maybe some friends) BEFORE she attends a school in September. Some schools are ´mixed´, some are male or female only. Most are Catholic but some are Presbyterian and others are non-denominational (Educate Together schools).
The website www.education.ie has a full list of schools all over Ireland together with information about the education system here.
She will also be required to learn Irish.Its compulsory for ALL children unless they have a ´special need´ or some other specific entitlement enabling them to apply for an exemption. Exemptions are not given out readily,They have to meet certain criteria. Its just something to consider.
You will also have to enroll her for September 2012 ASAP!
I hope this helps
ps, Don´t take this the ´wrong way´ but the economy here isn´t great at the moment and jobs are ´scarce´ so I hope you have that all arranged before even considering moving over!
Regards
Les

discussion forum terms & conditions

;