Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Information/Help with regard to teaching practices of gifted children

re : Information/Help with regard to teaching practices of gifted children           reply
06/04/2010 17:49 - Introduce Yourself
-----------------------------------
there is no official curriculum for gifted kids in schools .. it is up to the teachers in the school if they have time to do any extra with children and then it depends on the resources that the school have... if your teacher is open to giving extra time to gifted children there is a list of resources on the giftedkids.ie website and lots of other parents to give you advice.... also I would look into getting assessed by the Center for Talented youth when your child turns 6years.. as far as I know schools are very reluctant to move children up classes as I have 3 gifted children and none of them were moved up
hope this helps

Information/Help with regard to teaching practices of gifted children           reply
06/04/2010 12:24 - Introduce Yourself (Locality: Kildare)
Hi Everyone, First time user here..does anyone know if the Department of Education has a curriculum for main stream schools, for Gifted Children? My son who has just turned five and in junior infants has been assessed recently and he has a "very superior" level of intellect for his age..Is there any curriculum out there for his teacher to follow for him, I am not keen on moving him up any classes, as he is still emotionally five and socially he needs to be among his peers..Is there anything I can suggest for his teacher? Anyone else out there encounter this issue?

re : Information/Help with regard to teaching practices of gifted children           reply
06/04/2010 16:58 - Introduce Yourself

You might find the following article on our site useful - it also contains details of some useful websites for gifted kids.
http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/gifted-kids

discussion forum terms & conditions

;