Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Info on brand new secondary school

Info on brand new secondary school           reply
30/08/2019 10:33 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi all,
I am just looking for some feedback or info regarding sending child to brand new secondary school. There is one due to be built which my child would be the first year going in, I am torn as to whether to send child to established secondary further to home or take chance in brand new school. I would love feedback if anyone has sent their child to brand new secondary - as in, was all subjects on offer, did children miss out as only new school Prefabs, no sports etc? I would love my child to be in home town walk to school etc but am nervous I am taking a chance in brand new secondary. Thanks so much in advance

re : Info on brand new secondary school           reply
30/08/2019 19:43 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi, I´m a teacher so can give you some inside information as such. I don´t think you should fear a new school. Teachers have been trained and completed PME´s (Masters of Education) so they will be eager to get going in the classroom. Also, with a new school there´s new contracts available for teachers so you should have consistency with a lot of staff rather than teachers changing every year. Extra curricular are usually quickly set up with teachers eager also to obtain a permanent contract which isn´t available unless they´ve been on a certain contract for two years. Prefabs I have not found an issue when I worked in them to be honest. They are usually built to a good standard and the ones I was in were no different really to the main school, I actually found them at times more cosy. A lot really depends on the management put into the school as they are the one´s the teachers have to follow and the one´s who make the decisions and have the authority.I wouldn´t say fear a new school however it will take time for policies and procedures to put in place. That usually means a serious amount of work for staff rather than anyone else. Hope this helps.

re... : Info on brand new secondary school           reply
30/08/2019 20:21 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I´m 42 by the way and a parent also.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;