Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How to accommodate a child with Tourette Syndrome in the Classroom

How to accommodate a child with Tourette Syndrome in the Classroom           reply
13/11/2009 10:19 - Childrens Health
-----------------------------------
Is there a child in your class who you believe has Tourette Syndrome? Have you mentioned this to their parents? Many years ago my son was making unusual faces, sometimes his head/neck would jerk uncontrollably, he made funny noises and cleared his throat a lot. His teacher mentioned this to me and I could not believe it. He was doing all this at home, but we didn´t think it was happening in school. We finally asked our GP for a referral to a Neurologist as we believe he had Tourette Syndrome. His teacher had seen an article in a teacher magazine describing this often misunderstood condition. We are very grateful to her for pointing this out. He is now 21 and leading a good life and has accepted his condition. If you would like more information on this condition and you are a teacher, please contact TSA Ireland - info@tsai.ie for further details of their National Conference on 28th November. The Conference will focus on The Conference will focus on diagnosis, co-occurring conditions, treatment, classroom interventions and support for families. - our website www.tsai.ie has full Conference Programme with guest speakers. You too can learn how to support a child with TS in your classroom.

re : How to accommodate a child with Tourette Syndrome in the Classroom           reply
13/11/2009 12:58 - Childrens Health
This is a wonderful idea. We have a child with symptoms of Tourette Syndrome and we will certainly look up the conference and website details.

re... : How to accommodate a child with Tourette Syndrome in the Classroom           reply
13/11/2009 13:10 - Childrens Health
Hello Stanteach,
Many thanks for repying to our thread. It is important to Register for this Conference so please check out our website and return your Registration form to info@tsai.ie. If your child is displaying symptoms and is attending school, you could perhaps inform his class teacher of the event. I understand that the "In Touch" magazine had some information on the Conference, so perhaps a gentle nudge could encourage the teacher to attend to enable the teacher to support your child at school. I look forward to meeting you at our Conference.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;