Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How much to pay

How much to pay           reply
09/03/2022 13:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Dublin South)
-----------------------------------
We are looking for a nanny/childminder to look after our 1 year old girl/boy twins starting in the summer.
It will be for 1-2 days per week, hours roughly 7.30-17.00.
Some weeks will be 1 day, other 2 (due to my shifts).
Ideally have them looked after in our home.

How much should we expect to pay, per hour or per day?

Thank you

re : How much to pay           reply
13/03/2022 17:14 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I have worked as a nanny for 7yrs for a few families. I have never been offered below €14 euro per hour. In 3 of my jobs I earned between €38-47k a year including the current job minding 1 to 2 toddlers in each of those jobs. It works out at an average of €18-20 per hour for the hours I would work.
If they are unqualified and less then 2yrs experience I expect a minimum of €15 per hour for baby twins less when the twins are over 2.5yrs maybe down to €13 or €14 and hour. It would be or €16-18 for someone with experience this would be different if it was a 1yr old and 3yr old for example that´s a LOT easier. I was minding an 11month old when his 14month old cousins nanny quit so I minded her also for 2 months until she had a new nanny. I had him 8-6pm 5 days and at the same time I had her 9-5pm 4 days a week minding them in his house. It was tough and I was lucky both slept well and ate almost everything... But it was still exhausting.
You have to consider they will have to get 2 babies down for naps twice a day at the same time extremely tough when say one refuses to sleep especially with someone who is new and unfamiliar to them that they only see 2 times a week. They have to provide 3 meals a day ehicj involves cooking and assist to some level feeding both twins at the same time and cleaning the big mess from the food. They have to change... What around 6-8 nappies per baby thats 12-16 a day. They will bring the toddlers to a playgroup or baby class (if they are a decent nanny) that´s a lot of work with 2 babies having to get them ready, out the door, supervised etc. And back home before lunch and nap time so they have tk be ontop of things. And you would expect they would bring the babies to playgrounds too. Again trying to supervise 2 babies as apposed to 2 toddlers or a baby and toddler is exhausting they need so much done for them and they are so accident prone you have to be by their side all the time which is near impossible with two babies crawling or wobbling (as they learn to walk) in opposite directions outdoors 🙈
And consider this is only part time that costs more per hr then full time becsuse they are not guaranteed they will work the test of the week and have to sacerfise those hrs when they could just find a stable 40hrs a week job. Your part time makes it more awkward for them to find other hrs and they can´t survive in Ireland on such little money.

re : How much to pay           reply
13/03/2022 17:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
If you changed your mind and decided to send them to a childminder you could expect in South Dublin where you live to pay between 6-10 euro per hour per baby.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;