Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Facebook

re : Facebook           reply
15/11/2010 12:16 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
Privacy settings are very important on Facebook. Children, although they may seem not to (or want to) listen to us, it´s important to remind them of privacy settings. They should also be aware that they don´t have to accept friend requests from those they don´t want to and can block anybody they wish from their page.

30/03/2011 10:49 - Ask Mother Hen
It´s great someone has brought this topic up...iam not in favour of kids in primary school using facebook..my child has been begging to go on it because all his friends are on it...they are!!! I checked!!! Some have even sent me friend requests because i would be friends of their mums..!!!They are 10yrs old..I think its way too young...am I over reacting? Comments please....

re... : Facebook           reply
15/11/2010 12:20 - Ask Mother Hen
If it comes to light that somebody else is saying something about your child on Facebook, you can always report abuse to Facebook and they should remove it. The other option is that somebody (not necessarily you) would bring it to the attention of the parents/guardians of those abusing Facebook or posting nasty comments about others.

30/03/2011 12:55 - Ask Mother Hen
I have no problem with my children having facebook pages as they are in contact with family all over the world which they love but I would have their passwords and would go on frequently to check the pages and they need my permission to accept new friends.
I will allow them their privacy when they are in their late teens and they are happy with this

16/11/2010 15:38 - Ask Mother Hen
We have put together some tips to help you set up a Facebook account for your children safely. Dealing with security settings and monitoring it should allow your children to enjoy their online experience.

We also have a ´Safety on YouTube´ page dealing with how to set their safety settings.

Safety on Facebook: http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/safety-on-facebook
Safety on YouTube: http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/safety-on-youtube

16/11/2010 21:23 - Ask Mother Hen
Monitor closely, and make sure you are a Facebook friend of the child, so you can keep a close eye on their activity. However, if the child gets to grip with Facebook privacy settings, they will be able to keep things private from some of their friends (e.g. parents).

15/11/2010 13:00 - Ask Mother Hen
Think you need to monitor quite closely at that age. Have heard some terrible stories about bullying thru facebook. However bullying can also happen with mobile phones and off line so it´s not a reason not to use facebook . It´s all about teaching your child to implement all the necessary privacy settings and for you to check online now and then to ensure that the settings have remained in place!

Facebook           reply
12/11/2010 12:52 - Ask Mother Hen
I´m looking for some feedback on what parents think of allowing children aged between 12- 14 using facebook? Can it be used in a secure way? or does it leave children open to unwanted comments/visitors ?

30/03/2011 11:06 - Ask Mother Hen
Facebook terms and conditions, like many social networking sites, states:
[i]5.You will not use Facebook if you are under 13.[/i]

I agree with the social networking aspect, of being able to talk to different people (´friends´) online, but I don´t believe kids have the ´smarts´ to know when they are giving away too much information to strangers.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;