Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Do I need fluent Irish to teach

re : Do I need fluent Irish to teach           reply
23/03/2009 21:37 - Miscellaneous
-----------------------------------
According to the extract below from the Teaching Council website you do not require Irish when taking up a teaching position in Ireland but are required to work towards an Irish qualification within 5 years.

"Teachers trained in another Member State of the European Union, whose qualifications have been assessed and accepted by the Department of Education and Science, but who do not possess an appropriate Irish language qualification, will be granted a five year period of provisional recognition to teach in national schools. During this period of provisional recognition these teachers will be required to work towards meeting the Department´s Irish language requirements in accordance with paragraph 2 below. They must also agree that they will attend, where necessary, an appropriate training course or courses to prepare for the Scrúdú Cáilíochta sa Ghaeilge.
"
The following page on our website will provide you with some relevant website links when exploring working as a primary teacher in Ireland

http://www.schooldays.ie/articles-teacher/primary-teaching-jobs

I hope you find this useful

Do I need fluent Irish to teach           reply
23/03/2009 21:32 - Miscellaneous
-----------------------------------
i am a primary school teacher working in london. i am interested in moving to ireland and i was wondering whether you need to speak fluent irish inorder to work there.

your response is much appreciated.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;