Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Childminding fee

Childminding fee           reply
18/07/2020 23:53 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Dublin South)
-----------------------------------
Hi There,
I am starting out childminding. I am not sure what to charge. I have agreed €10.00 and hour for 5 hours minding two sisters and I am also minding a baby from 8 am until 6 pm for two days a week agreeing to €50.00 per day. His mother is going to provide nappies, wipes and food. Is these prices right or should I be asking for more?. It is all new to me so I am a bit at a loss. I am wondering would €12.00 per hour be too much to ask. I am doing a pediatric first aid course in September and I am gardai vetted. I have many years of experience as I am the youngest of 10 children and practically reared my nieces and nephews from when they were babies. There are 24 grandchildren in my family. Mary

re : Childminding fee           reply
19/07/2020 08:34 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Childminding prices have gone through the roof in Dublin. A mum in Dublin said she´s paying 2800e a month for full time care for one child in a childminders home. An article in yesterday Irish Independent it´s 90e a day for a baby, 10e an hour alone.
The demand is there if your willing and able to work with small children, it´s full on. Childminders set their own prices but relative to what they offer. Make sure your insured and also your car. Contact your CCC and Childminding Ireland for advice to set up before you start.

re... : Childminding fee           reply
19/07/2020 11:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Will do. Thanks for your advice. Oh my god €2,800 a month is a bit extreme. That is a mortgage.

re : Childminding fee           reply
20/07/2020 09:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
You are charging the norm if not a little above per hour.
Do Not believe for one minute that anyone is paying 2800.00 per month. That may be for a live in qualified Nanny but nobody is paying that kind of money these rumours only justify people to put up their prices.

20/07/2020 16:32 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Yes that figure sounds a bit extreme.

17/12/2021 23:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I know this is old but I came across it today
Maybe as you said parents are not paying those crazy prices for a childminder working out of the childminders home. Lost are paying significantly less, often because it untaxed..but I can tell you it isn´t just rumours, there are PLENTY of parents paying upwards of €2,800 a month for minders even just for one baby or kid. Work it out its not actually that high an hourly salary for example if both parents have to leave at half 8 for work and need time to grab a shower before hand the nanny has to start at 8am and might not finish till 6pm. That works out as €14 an hour...many qualified minders are charging and earning up to €19 an hour working 45-50hrs a week or somewhere between €3,420-€3,800 a month
I know because I have had 3 jobs as a minder with the lowest being €3,000 a month for 2 boys, one job minding a single baby at €3,500 a month which increased to €4,000 when his sister was born and currently €3,500 again for just one toddler. And these aren´t all super fancy high flying families, yes rich but not insanely... And I have been offered many other jobs offers in that range over the years when I have been searching.
And I don´t always set the bar the parents do. It´s the cost of a realible, highly qualified and experienced nanny these days.
I know a childminder in South Dublin minding 4 kids charging €12.50 an hour which works out at € 2,250 for any parents dropping their child at 8:30am and picking them up at 5:30pm. Unfortunately the reality is even with covid and working from home many parents have to log on to zoom at 9am and can´t finish work until 6pm so they would need even more hours maybe €2,500 euro worth. The cost might not be the €2,800 mentioned above but its getting close.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;