Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Childminding Advise

Childminding Advise           reply
10/01/2014 11:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Carlow)
-----------------------------------
Hi, I am considering taking up child minding in my new house. I have done child minding several years ago but have no qualifications only experience. I was intending doing child minding sooner but my house was not suitable/large enough.
Now that I have the space I hope to change one of the bedrooms into a play room, put all the necessary safety equipment procedures in place i.e cupboard locks, fire guard, stair gate, do the necessary fire procedures, first aid kit etc. Have a programme of activities, breakdown the needs of each child, including dietary needs, contact numbers, contracts etc. etc.

I have an 11 year old son so am also an experienced parent.

QUESTIONS: How important is it to be Feetac child care trained?
How important is First Aid training?
How important is it to be registered with HSE?

I am asking these questions as I feel that as a mother and experienced minder that I do not need to have the above qualifications, but would anyone hire me without them? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

re : Childminding Advise           reply
10/01/2014 21:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
For me, these things would not be hugely important. Somebody who is sensible, practical, gentle and loving with the children would be a lot more important to me than somebody who has a lot of qualifications. The way I see it, a childminder is supposed to provide a home from home and be a mother figure when the real mum cannot be there. These qualifications are maybe more important for a creche or institution. When I was looking for a child minder previously, I was very put off by people who suggested keeping food and poo diaries and who wanted me to sign a form to say they could give calpol if the child had a fever

re... : Childminding Advise           reply
11/01/2014 10:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Iv never had a parent ask me what qualifications Iv got or not got. I find the rate of pay would be of interest with your experience and your home/car.
However I do a little note with what happened during the day around nappies/food/sleep, just so there is a record for the parents, very important I feel especially if something happened and certainly around calpol/nurofen etc. Plus it saves the conversation at the end of the day with the parent.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;