Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Assessment / Entrance exams - abolished or not?

Assessment / Entrance exams - abolished or not?           reply
18/09/2009 17:00 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
My son is now in 6th class. I was under the impression that entry into secondary school was based on the Sten Tests that he undertook in 4th and 6th class. I´ve looked at previous posts and they indicate the entrance exams will be abolished. Is there any update on this? Also is there anywhere I can get a "sample" entrance/assessment test? Cheers

re... : Assessment / Entrance exams - abolished or not?           reply
20/09/2009 17:44 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
most schools hold some form of assessment day. The STEN scores in the standardised tests should never be used as a type of entrance exam.

re : Assessment / Entrance exams - abolished or not?           reply
18/09/2009 17:18 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Depends on where you live. Schools normally allocate places on the basis of agreed criteria based on their enrolment/admissions policies. Entrance exams were done away with in secondary schools some years ago but there are several schools that still hold assessment tests, after places have been allocated. These tests are very often the very same kind of test that was used as an entrance exam in years gone by. You need to check with your local schools and your child´s primary school would know the procedures for your local secondary schools also.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;