Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

A child I mind stole money from my house today advice urgently needed!!

re... : A child I mind stole money from my house today advice urgently needed!!          
15/06/2014 09:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
hi thanks for your reply. the money was not left out deliberately to tempt the child.It was for the grass money collection on Friday.The way I feel about it is that this is my home and if a child can not be trusted they dont need to be here.I have been childminding for many years and have never had this happen. I will let you know how it goes . I might get a confession when i ask a few questions.

18/06/2014 08:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
im sure the parents are mortified i would be.chalk this down as experience.as for being a bad influence.none of us can make that assumption.im sure the child is embarrrased thats probably why he put on a brave face.most kids think money just appears out of nowhere.1 of my own used to think i had a magic purse where money appeared in it.there was a programme on a couple of years back where people saw money fall out of the sky.she wanted to go to florida thinking it happened all the time.she dident actually see the helicopter above.
im sure the child is embarrrased thats probably why he put on a brave face.

15/06/2014 13:22 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
if the jar was where the child could see it then it tempted him is what i ment.
its very upsetting for you i understand.do let us know how you get on.
best wishes .

16/06/2014 10:26 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Personally I probably let it lie and never put money in his sight again,..he is only learning his way and on positive note youv the money back....I know I pop everything on note to parents after a simple situation previous with a parent resulted in huge disagreement orally, end road for us at the time......he could tell his parents and worse that they may now ask you about......id tread carefully...

17/06/2014 22:30 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Carriek +1, thank god for a voice of reason, he´s 10!!!!! And he may not have stolen for any reason other than curiosity/boredom/ don´t know why but to expect his parents to meet or to ask him to leave to me says a lot more about the op than the child.

A child I mind stole money from my house today advice urgently needed!!          
13/06/2014 20:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Any advice please. A child that I have minded for nearly 2 years now has taken money from my house today. Has anyone been in this position before? Advice needed on how to handle this.I have only discovered the money gone now and I am certain it was this child as I seen him hovering around the jar today and discovered the money gone a few mins after he was collected!!

16/06/2014 19:40 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Gosh, I find the above comments so harsh....no school would expel for stealing at such an early stage, common sense would prevail....drug dealing or the likes yes, eventually and it would have to be on school property....
my comment was based on the fact most childminders want to hold onto their kids....
Did you tell the parents today??

re : A child I mind stole money from my house today advice urgently needed!!          
17/06/2014 12:21 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
you say you know this boy a long time ,do you think he has a self control
problem maybe or is he stressed in some why and looking for attention.
God love him he is only 10 .a child i would meet with his parents something is not right.he didnt spend the money ....why .do you think he is a bit jealous of you sons home life ! and wanted to hurt you. ah poor little man.
i shocked at some of the reactions from minders its a child .
best wishes

15/06/2014 00:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
yes had this happen to me but you did not see the child take the money so
always doubt.learn like i did never ever leave temptation in any childs way.
have a chat with both the child and your own child about doing the right thing..
www.parents.com have good piece on children stealing.worth a read.

17/06/2014 14:33 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
would have to agree with your comment. Considering the posts here are from mothers it is difficult to understand the harshness of some comments. (There for the grace of God and all that)

15/06/2014 14:40 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Yes i am so upset. I have taken this kid under my wing. He has sleep overs and was part of the family as i would have him for days at a time. Thanks i will let you know

16/06/2014 11:50 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well personally, I would have to end my contract with the parents. If you do nothinhg about it what is he going to steal from you in the future. If he had no remorse for what he did, that is actually worse than the crime itself. Your own son could have gotten the blame for this. Its just not worth the agro having to watch your back all the time. This child is a bad influence on your own child and any other children you have in your care.

16/06/2014 14:10 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Have to say im glad you are thinking this way. He is too young to be stealing,. I have three children myself 2 teenagers 19 and 17 and one aged 10 and never have they touched a penny that didnt belong to them. I would never think of taking something that didnt belong to me. If I put petrol in my car and go 1 cent over, I pay that one cent. This honesty has to be instilled in a child from a young age. They learn from example. If he stole from school, he would be expelled. Fair play to you.

17/06/2014 16:54 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
What did the text say?
The parents could have/do have their own emotions going on and this has to be appreciated also? They could be embarrassed, stressed, thinking before they act, worried as previous poster said this is an out of character act as youv known the child for two years or indeed simply they could not give a hoot!!!
A good way schools ask for an apology is in the form of a written note...

17/06/2014 15:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi Thanks for your replies .Would any of you change your mind if I told you that the parents were invited to the house for a chat about it but they didn´t come and i got a text message instead and secondly the child has still not apologized ???

13/06/2014 22:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi thanks for your reply. Looking back on the childs behavior today....the way he was hanging around the jar i know it was him.It was 10 euro he took.I am shocked that he stole from me.He is the only child i mind and he is ten years old.My son is also in the house and he has been questioned about the money ,I know when my child is telling the truth and i know he didnt take it.I feel betrayed that this child had the neck todo this and I feel that to set an example to my son i may need to terminate him from my contract! I feel betrayed ,I have taken him into my home as one of my own and thats the thanks i get

16/06/2014 10:49 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I´d be more concerned about why he stole the money. I could almost understand it from a teenager but this child is quite young to be doing this. If you never had an issue like this before I´d be wondering why now. Is he in some type of trouble or anyone hassling him for money?

17/06/2014 15:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I am starting to wonder what is wrong with parents today. I was simply speaking my mind and I have been slated. I never said my children were perfect Jennifer, but at the age of ten they knew the difference between right and wrong. I dont think that my comments were harsh.
I was giving some advise to someone in trouble and did not want to enter into a slanging match. My opinion was agreed with by Mum2s@m.
Just goes to show that the parents of the child in question have a lot to answer for... am I allowed to say that, or am I a bad mother.

17/06/2014 19:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Holy God lady´s the child is ten!!! Please b reminded he is a child ! All of our kids at some point in there lives r gona do things to disappoint us but come on u would swear the kid murdered someone.... I am absolutely shocked to think professional childminder s would tink this way..ok he deserves a good talking too and maybe a punishment but then this should b let go.as for him being bad influence on ur own child?? Harsh...

16/06/2014 09:14 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Ok so the child came clean when I questioned him this morning! He was in the house a good hour before i asked him...playing and not a bother on him....When he owned up he never said sorry or showed any remorse what so ever! just shrugged his shoulders!! Took the money out of his pocket and said well i didnt spend it i have it here!! Holy god!! I´m madder now than I was!! What to do!??

13/06/2014 22:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I have heard situations where one cant leave money around, even few coins in the car..,, what age is the child.....I certainly wouldnt let the situation go but very difficult to accuse....perhaps the parents will find the money....hope its not large either......

16/06/2014 12:40 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
This is exactly how i feel!. I need to show my son that this behavior is not allowed in our home .I have decided that i am not allowing him back into my home.He has shown no remorse what so ever so i don´t have much to work with.My whole summer will be ruined if i have to keep watching him to see if he steals anything.I am taking this very very serious for the sake of my own children.

13/06/2014 21:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
thats a tricky to deal with.is this child the only child you mind.if there is other kids the parents could say it could have been one of them.or did you see him do it.you will have to say something though.if he thinks he has got away with it he will do it again.was it a large amount of money.just say he was beside the jar and when you checked a while later it was gone.maybe you could ask the child first.and say if he dosent tell the truth you will have to contact his parents he could own up.he cant get away with it.theres a chance the parents will say my son would never do that.then again they might believe you.let us know how it goes.

18/06/2014 08:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for all of your advice, i am taking it all on board.

17/06/2014 17:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
it said sorry for what he did,they are embarrassed by his behavior........are you still taking him tomorrow(basically)...They don´t live far from me so really i feel that they should have called in yesterday with the child and sat down for a chat

discussion forum terms & conditions

;