Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

the use of "gun" language when teaching children!!!!

the use of "gun" language when teaching children!!!!           reply
24/02/2010 11:00 - Homework
-----------------------------------
Last night my 7yr old son came home with a list of sentences to fill in the gaps using words with "sh"
One sentence read:
"Ned pointed and _____________ his gun" missing word=shot!!!

I think the use of such an example is extremely irresponsible and inappropriate & remarked so to the teacher. The handout looked like it was from a workbook that was years old (well i hope so). Im really shocked that a teacher would approve this as homework.

re... : the use of "gun" language when teaching children!!!!           reply
25/02/2010 20:14 - Homework
I suppose it depends on the individual parent and what you find acceptable tv, books, language etc, for your child. I, as a parent, can´t find on nice sentence for the word FAT.

25/02/2010 20:56 - Homework
whatever about the "gun" sentence, but come on! fat is a perfectly acceptable common word. in my opinion avoiding its use sends a seriously negative message to children who are fat. what sentence did your child write in the end?

re : the use of "gun" language when teaching children!!!!           reply
25/02/2010 16:16 - Homework
Hi there, I totally agree with you. My 4 year old came home last week with her wordbox homework, a sentence must be made with each word. I couldn´t believe it when I saw one of the words was "fat". This is a word that we don´t use in our home, after helping a close friends daughter through an eating disorder for years. I can only think of negitive sentences for this word and I certainly don´t want my children using it. Maybe i´m over reacting but I can´t see the any good with this one! Teachers must think more carefully when given homework words.

25/02/2010 18:55 - Homework
oh for pity´s sake, teachers must now avoid gun, fat??Teachers are trying to teach phonological awareness, not social studies with these words. Go the whole hog, don´t ever let your child watch tv, read books and keep them in solitary,altogether.

Talk about over-protective,maybe teachers shouldn´t ask children to put any words at all into sentences unless each parent sends in a pre-aprroved list. Lord knows, you must have little to trouble you if this is all the fault you can find.

13/05/2010 20:17 - Homework
The teacher is teaching PHONICS not asking the children to say who is fat or not. Sheesh.

13/05/2010 09:32 - Homework
A four year old should not be using the word ´fat´.
The word has two main uses:- that person is fat or the fat on the chop. Now I don´t see children talking about the fat on their chop and they should not be calling people fat.

re : the use of "gun" language when teaching children!!!!           reply
24/02/2010 18:41 - Homework
Can´t see a problem, he didn´t kill or murder anyone.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;