Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

should schools inform parents about class split before the summer holidays

should schools inform parents about class split before the summer holidays           reply
22/07/2011 08:03 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
Hi there wondering about policy in relation to class´s being split. It´s mid-july & we (parents) have discovered this week that our childrens class will be split in september - some will be in with 2nd class & have been told to retain some of their existing 2nd class book, the others will be in with 4th and will need to get 4th class books. Surely the school should have informed parents of this before the holidays and the criteria applied to select children for each of the classes. Personally, I believe this shouldn´t happen - appreciate it´s a small school and class numbers need careful management etc. However, it´s sneaky and underhand and completely ignores parental involvement in decisions about their children´s education. These children will be in 3rd class from september & should only do 3rd class work not repeat 2nd class work or indeed struggle to do 4th class work.

re : should schools inform parents about class split before the summer holidays           reply
22/07/2011 17:30 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
My children have finished in National school now, but the first year I encountered the split, I too had apprehensions, my child stayed with the younger class and I worried for the duration, then whenever they came together again, we found NO advantage or disadvantage had taken place. In my experience teachers work ´even harder´ to ensure the appropriate work takes place, I found my children made more friends in classes older and younger and benefited hugely in this regard. My advice is to relax, communicate your concerns with the teachers, and trust that as long as they follow the curriculum and work books, they wont fall behind.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;