Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

leaving cert

leaving cert           reply
12/01/2011 17:02 - Miscellaneous (Locality: Galway)
-----------------------------------
hi,
My kids are in st.endas college in Galway.we moved back to Ireland from NYC this last June(2010).The kids are settling in well andd love it here,Thank God.I have a question,maybe you can clear this up for us.My 16 year old son(turns 17 in june2011)is currently in transition year.My 15 year old daughter (turned 15 in dec2010)is currently in 3rd year and doing the junior cert this june.My daughter will not be doing transition year next year.Does this mean they will both be going into 5th year?or will she still have to do a 4th year.We are very confused.
I found your site very helpful before.I hope you can help us again.
Thank you
Patricia Finnegan

re... : leaving cert           reply
12/01/2011 20:24 - Ask Mother Hen
Thanks a million John.Now that you have cleared that up we can all move on...ha ha .They were arguing about this non stop.
Thanks again
Patricia

re : leaving cert           reply
12/01/2011 19:35 - Ask Mother Hen
If your Daughters school says she has to do transition year (4th year) then she has too.
If she doesn´t have too then yes they will both go into 5th year next year (Sept).
4th year was brought about to allow ´certain´ students get experience in the workplace and in different subjects than they did in their Junior Cert, without it being part of their Leaving Cert.

Hope this helps.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;