Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

i do not want my child to receive any religious teaching when they begin school

re : i do not want my child to receive any religious teaching when they begin school           reply
14/12/2011 22:42 - Announcements
-----------------------------------
Hi,
I do not envy your situation. Now that I have a child in education, I am shocked at the amout of religious teaching that take place in the national schools
All I can do is talk from experience. I would class myself as Agnostic, I was christened Catholic, but all my education was in Protestant Primary and Senior schools. This automatically takes making your communion out of the picture. In primary there was a class a week about christian faith. If pupils didn´t want to be there they were excused from class to do something else, it was never an issue among the pupils. It´s interesting that there were also some Jewish pupils in the class who all stayed for the class. When I asked them why their answer was that it gave them an education about the different religions.
Another option would be if there is an Educate Together school in your area, there seem to be new ones opening each year. If this is not possible I would consider seeing is there is a Protestant Primary School in your area

re... : i do not want my child to receive any religious teaching when they begin school           reply
03/01/2012 10:04 - Announcements
It is a difficult situation. You´ve seen some news articles from recent months about parents having difficulties in opting out of religious activities for their child. If I recall correctly, one case in Wicklow ended up with an arson attempt on the family home!
In our kids school, they will often say that when a school Mass is happening, children who are not attending the Mass should come to school at 11am. This is very difficult for working parents, and is clearly discriminatory treatment.

i do not want my child to receive any religious teaching when they begin school           reply
01/09/2011 11:14 - Announcements (Locality: Roscommon)
hi.
wasn´t sure which category to post this. hopefully this will be ok.

We are an atheist family. and as such i do not want my two kids one beginning primary next next sept to be taught any catholic teachings. i am living in rural ireland and dont have many choices to send them to. i dont want to be a pain or a difficulty to the school, but i have to insist that my kids are not exposed to the same catholic teachings that i was. so my question is simply what rights do we have as an irish family living and working in ireland. and how will a small primary school with limited resources accommodate my children. what advice would you have for me. i dont want to see my kids being made to look different amongst the others. but i cannot allow my kids to learn a philosophy which we do not follow. for example if we were another strict non catholic religion how would the family manage in the school. i am further concerned when it comes to a communion and confirmation year. from my memory a large percentage of time was devoted to this. so will my kids be lacking a large percentage of learning while the other kids go ahead with preparation for their comm and confirmation. so please help with some constructive advice please.

thank you in advance.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;