Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

boys secondary school

re : boys secondary school           reply
27/02/2008 19:07 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi,
There are quite a few, I´ll give you an idea of some of them:

St. Aidans - a fairly large Boys Catholic secondary school was a CBS - had a great rep is on Collins Avenue beside DCU. Fairly broad band of subjects including some practical ones. Good on sports and has a broad band of students. Has a unifrom dress code. A waiting list but you shouldn´t have a problem.

Ard Scoil Aris - another CBS (could be wrong though) on Griffith Avenue, a very good academic reputation. Less practical subjects taught there, very strong on languages, has a very good reputation locally especially if you feel your child needs a bit of a push! A very sporty school. It is very well regarded, Has a uniform dress code. Again a waiting list but you shouldn´t have a problem either.

Pobalscoil Rosmini - a mixed Catholic Community College for boys and girls on Gracepark road. It incorporates the National School of the blind, so there are visually impaired pupils as well as some Deaf. It has a really broad range of subjects, right across the spectrum, Music/art/Metal/Woodwork, languages, the lot. It does have a lot of students with special needs and speciallises in that area, so make sure you are aware of this. That said it has a strict dress code, a lot of extra curricular activities is very sporty or arty depending on your childs preferences. Its reputation suffers because of the students it caters for, worth checking if your child any type of learning problems. No waiting list, you´ll have no problem getting them in.

Mount Temple - a bit out of the way on the Malahide road at the top of Griffith avenue. A large non-denominational mixed comprehensive, has a protestant ethos, its feeder base is non-denominational schools. Is very similar in the subjects offered as Rosmini and does cater for special needs, it has a very good reputaion. No uniforms, is a very large school, has a reputation for a relaxed attitude/regime which is not borne out by its excellant results. A great school if you can get in there - its hard though a large waiting list.

In fairness there are a few other schools but I know less of them. They are similar to Saint Aidans and Ard scoil Aris. That is O´Connells off the North Circular road, had a great reputation but it has shrunk to nothing like its former glory. Saint Vincents, another great school of old, not sure why O´Connells and Vincents have declined so much but they are shadows of their former selves. Both are former CBS schools, and have students from the areas they are located. They no longer have the great reputations they had but like Rosmini its probably a very unfair rep.

I hope these help, try contacting all these schools and bring your child along pick the ones right for them. Good luck with your search.

Austin

re... : boys secondary school           reply
28/02/2008 15:54 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
thanks for that.i´m a bit confused re a school rep suffering because they have children with special needs in the school, surely it would make for a more caring environment? i´ve been told by parents who sent their child to st aidans on collins ave that they´re very unhappy with the school ! absent teachers, poor exam results etc. anyone else have a child there at the moment? thanx

boys secondary school           reply
26/02/2008 20:46 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
hi
what secondary schools are good in drumcondra, glasnevin area? (for boys)

discussion forum terms & conditions

;