Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

activities in school

re... : activities in school           reply
24/04/2011 21:37 - School holidays / Inservice
-----------------------------------
It may not be compulsory for you to pay but if it is during the school day, it is possible the children will have to do it anyway. Music is part of the curriculum and dance is part of the PE curriculum and children don´t get to opt out just because they don´t like them. It´s possible that you will be asked to provide supervision for the children as they are choosing to opt out of a class activity just because they don´t like it. Schools will make arrangements if parents are unable to contribute towards in school activites but not if the children just decide they don´t like it. Otherwise there would be chaos.

24/04/2011 22:55 - School holidays / Inservice
thanks foggy, both activities are done by outside teachers, so i am sure my children could be supervised by the teachers who are now free during this period.they also have music taught to them by one of the teachers on top of this other music that i have mentioned, so 2 music lessons .one is theory and the one we pay for is practical.will have to discuss this with principal.

25/04/2011 14:01 - School holidays / Inservice
Yes both music and dance are part of the new curriculum. I find that children love doing them. Both are generally taught by the class teacher and are paid for by the taxpayer! Parents should not have to pay for any of these within school hours. Talk to Principal and DES if you feel strongly about it.

07/04/2011 13:42 - School holidays / Inservice
Thanks Ellen, will speak to principle to organise for september.

re : activities in school           reply
06/04/2011 14:11 - School holidays / Inservice
Yes,you can opt out.Speak to the Principal.

activities in school           reply
24/03/2011 15:59 - School holidays / Inservice (Locality: Tipperary)
hi ,can anyone tell me is it compulsory to pay for music dancing etc that goes on with in the school day. none of my children like either music or dancing but i still have to pay and they attend. is it possible for them to opt out. thanks.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;