Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Why in our school they don't have field trips?

re... : Why in our school they don´t have field trips?           reply
04/11/2010 23:00 - School Trips
-----------------------------------
Unfortunately it´s my son´s second year in Ashton, Cork school and he is at junior cert year but so far there were no filed trips at all...
I don´t mind to pay but they don´t offer anything like that.

04/11/2010 20:56 - School Trips
Did your son go on any more field trips since? I´ve noticed a distinct decrease in the number of field trips/outings but I don´t blame schools for that. It´s good to see that there is more of an awareness of financial pressures on families.

06/11/2010 01:25 - School Trips
i was speaking to other parents and we all agreed that schools have reduced the number of field trips dramatically sine the downturn in the economy. If your son is in Junior cert, then I wouldn´t expect him to be going on too many field trips but if he was in Transition Year, for example, he would be going on far more field trips.

04/11/2010 23:25 - School Trips
You might like to research places for field trips and bring your son to places of interest.

04/11/2010 23:34 - School Trips
What is your main reason for wanting your son to go on field trips? With the use of interactive whiteboards and the internet in schools, the need for going on field trips is not as great as it once was.

04/11/2010 23:24 - School Trips
You are fortunate that you can afford to pay Lena. Not everybody is in the same position as you are as they may have several children and may also be unemployed.

Why in our school they don´t have field trips?           reply
09/03/2010 13:40 - School Trips (Locality: Cork)
Hi,
The school year is ending soon but in our secondary school Ashton in Cork my son didn´t have any field trips during a year. Can you tell my why as we are new to Irish schools and it´s our first year since we moved from States.
Thank you

re : Why in our school they don´t have field trips?           reply
07/05/2010 13:53 - School Trips
Part of the reason for a reduction in field trips this year has been the awareness of the financial burden on parents. There is a huge increase in unemployment so schools are very much aware of that .

29/12/2010 14:04 - School Trips
generally if a school stops field trips, there is a very good reason, and that reason is usually discipline.
No one wants to take a bunch of blackguards anywhere. Which is a pity because most kids behave themselves fairly well. But it only takes two or three.

discussion forum terms & conditions