Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

When to get paid?

When to get paid?           reply
04/05/2015 21:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi. I´m just wondering what is the norm when getting paid for minding. Is it to be paid weekly on the last day or at the beginning of the week? Or is it monthly. Have been asked to mind a little one and the mum wants to pay me at end of each month. Would just be interested in what you girls think? Thanks a mil. Ro.

re... : When to get paid?           reply
20/05/2015 10:32 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Youv made right decision..would any other service provider work all month n then chance payment, only in childminding land..I think it´s v cheeky even to ask...

06/05/2015 09:23 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i would go weekly if i was you be on the safe side.

14/06/2015 08:20 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
true she or he doesn´t request a month in advance but you pay your hairdresser etc there n then..if u didn´t pay you won´t be getting your hair cut again there...same as a restaurant etc...can u name any service or self employed person that you work 5 days a week for a full month at a low rate per hour in advance in a new job awaiting a cash payment with the common risk of not getting paid..
Does my car salesman let me buy a car, drive around a month n then pay...
Yes I referred to "childminding land" previously as this is what the childminding market is like...it´s a separate world of no legal standing where open abuse is happening, I´m no longer shocked really at what I read or hear after 5yrs childminding coming from my professional career with my wages in my bank every two weeks...my payslip on my desk that morning, if an issue a quick phonecall to the dept...who does the childminder ring...the childminder is often the last to be paid if other unexpected bills that week...Iv had it myself and don´t mind if parent says I simply can´t pay u till children allowance day etc but at this stage we´d know each other very well...as I said it v cheeky of this mum looking for new cmer n as op said something not quiet right..when I´m contacted by new parent I´m interviewing them as much if not more as they interviewing me..

05/05/2015 10:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I get paid last day of the week worked..if mum wants pay monthly pay in advance..it´s too easy to work full month n then no pay, i wouldn´t even risk it..Iv meet a cm recently who gets paid in advance, she has over the weekly rate calculated so if late etc she has it, she refunds her days off n excess etc..even if uv contact it´s not worth the paper it´s wrote on I just do it so no misunderstandings...

13/06/2015 21:00 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
On the other side of your point would you pay your hairdresser the week before she did your hair? Suggesting that you should pay your employee before the work is done is bonkers I would be shown the door in my job if I suggested this.

13/06/2015 08:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I cannot get over the cynicism from the people who replied most people get paid monthly now. We all have to wait till the end of the month for our wages to be paid, obviously the mom could not pay you till she got paid. Some people so quick to judge?

13/06/2015 12:12 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Yes, kathy o, that´s fine if youv a job with a contact and so should anything go wrong either side, everyone is protected legally...
However even a registered cmer as opposed to Irelands black market cmers can fall foul to not being paid..even with a contact, what do you do...sue the parents lol..so a weekly hit is the best protection as a monthly hit would be a killer for any small business as tax, insurance etc still has to be paid...
Would any parent ask their hairdresser etc to work all day for often low rate per hour five days a week for full month n run risk off not being paid...the parent wouldn´t even ask for a hair appointment to pay at end of month...theyd be mortified
Creches charge a large deposit n hold it till end of contract and it´s pay monthly in advance for all 52 weeks year....many registered cmers now working all direct debit or will insist on dd if ongoing payment isissues, charge a deposit and alot are charging in advance...
Iv yet to get stung thankfully but hopefully have procedures in place that if it did it´s not that crippling but it´s the amount of work I´d have done for free that would kill me.....

19/05/2015 18:20 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for the advise girls. I decided not to go ahead. Still insisting paying me at end of month- something just didn´t feel right! Thanks again.
Have had someone else looking for me to mind 2 so hopefully may do better with them instead:)

re : When to get paid?           reply
05/05/2015 09:46 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi......Personally i get paid weekly usually on the last day of the week. This is the way i prefer to be paid and i tell all parents when they are starting. Creches are paid monthly but i hear they have to be paid a month in advance. That is the only way i would agree to be paid if a parent was adamant about paying monthly.

14/06/2015 12:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
a few childminders i know who got paid at the end of the month got stung a few times.it might work well for some but for others it dosent.a friend of mine got paid at the end of the month everything went well for a few months.then the trouble started with the parents saying they dident get paid the bank has messed up or ive lost my kbc card.but she said their facebook told a different story.their posts would come up on her facebook with photos of newly done nails hairstyles kids new clothes or a day out at tayto park.thats just messing childminders about .i get paid by the week and i have problems getting paid with the parents saying we forgot to get your wages or i left my card at work.then you have to start chasing them for it.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;