Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

What to pay?

re... : What to pay?           reply
17/08/2016 18:00 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Ok, so in childminders house is often cheaper (plus no added hassle of wage slips, holidays etc)
I imagine average for 3 kids would be €12-15 per - though they may do a cheaper day rate.
Re Garda vetting, I would have this, insurance and first aid as a priority - many may have experience with kids from being a mum or dad - so this will keep options open!
If they didn´t have insurance and first aid this would absolutely be a deal breaker (for me!)
Would be in the region of below - going by hourly rate (may do a day rate of €100 - excluding food) if you´re lucky x
9 hours a day x 5 days a week x €12.00 per hour = €540
9 hours a day x 5 days a week x €15.00 per hour = €675

19/08/2016 06:46 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
No childminder should be minding loads kids at same time or more than two under 15mths, it´s illegal, crowd control and often dangerous.
Re insurance, have a read/contact Childminding Ireland and your county childcare committe, both also have lists of insured childminders. Insurance protects the childminder but also more importantly the minded children. Medical bills covered etc. My own child had an accident in school due to negligence of maintenance staff, luckily it all worked out but the medical bills were covered.
Worse in my opinion is travelling in a childminder car on a domestic policy, no one is covered in event of an accident.
Notified childminders have their homes visited by their ccc before being notified. They can avail of a grant so equipment, toys etc are continually improved on. Registered childminders with Tusla are fully inspected same as any creche. They are trained to be childminders, have policies and procedures so disease/infection control in place.
It´s personal choice and I know parents often have no choice if an insured childminder is not available locally or if one full. But if your looking at handing over alot surely insurance that is free on house insurance or €155 is least a parent can expect or insist on.

What to pay?           reply
17/08/2016 12:40 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi. I will be needing childminder 4 days a week from 9 to 430. 3 children aged 3 2 and 6 months. 1 is in playschool in mornings so will need drop off and collection. What would I pay a childminder??

re : What to pay?           reply
17/08/2016 16:30 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hey, there would be a few factors
Is it in your home or the minders?
Is he or she
a) Registered with local childcare committee / Tusla
b) Insured
c) Garda Vetted
d) first aid
e) Qualifications / experience etc

re : What to pay?           reply
18/08/2016 08:35 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Three kids is a difficult one as the cost of a childminder isn´t much different to having a nanny come to your house and you´ll have convenience of this for both you and your children.
Depending on your location of course, rates vary alot so do see who´s available and price them but do bear in mind it´s relative to whats on offer. I know any parent in my area would have a heart attack at 545 -675 for what is looked at as a short enough day, even bearing in mind it´s three young kids. Majority will fully charge for playschool hours.
Definitely look for insurance (childminding and especially car if used) and first aid, for protection of your children. It´s a huge responsibility. No childminder should have more than three preschoolers ie under 6 and not in school, unless fully registered with Tusla. So yours alone would be at her ratio level and any childminder who would mind yours aswell as others on same day is breaking the law.

17/08/2016 17:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for reply I´d like them to be looked after in the childminders house. I would drop kidss and collect them. I would like them to have had at least 5 years experience in childminding and would like references in particular if they weren´t garda vetted.

17/08/2016 19:14 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks so much for that, really appreciate it.

18/08/2016 07:33 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
You´re very welcome x

17/08/2016 20:04 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks a mil for that

19/08/2016 09:00 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
That´s great info I´m meeting a few childminders over next few days so at least I can ask now what training standards and insurance they have.

18/08/2016 16:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for that, I am definitely looking for someone who doesn´t mind other kids. 3 kids at my ages is really hard work and I honestly don´t know how people mind loads of kids! Just wondering what exactly does the insurance cover? It seems to be a big thing just by what I have read on the forums?

17/08/2016 19:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
That would very much depend on the minder themselves.
As they would have to to drop offs, collections and be on standby incase kids are sick and can´t attend (or the preschool is closed) many charge the full rate
Some charge at a slightly reduced rate for those days.

17/08/2016 19:17 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Could I actually ask 1 more thing...how does it work if my 3 year old is in playschool for the mornings and then in November my 2 year old will start in sane playschool. They would both still need to be collected at 12.30 and looked after until 430 but in the mornings the childminder would only have my baby. How does that work in relation to what I pay?

discussion forum terms & conditions

;