Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

What effects have you noticed from overuse of X-Box etc?

What effects have you noticed from overuse of X-Box etc?           reply
04/11/2010 18:39 - Teenage Issues
-----------------------------------
I am wondering if other parents have had reports of kids becoming addicted to X-Box and the effects x-Box have had on behaviour, if any. (It is very much restricted in our house, and we never allowed a play station in our house)

re : What effects have you noticed from overuse of X-Box etc?           reply
15/08/2011 13:06 - Teenage Issues
While I agree that it can be bad, I must also disagree that you shouldn´t have one. Just monitor their time (here we only play weekends during school) and also watch the type of game you buy. There are games that´s great and can teach them a lot. I have made a point of playing, or just sitting, with my son - I not only know what he is up to, but it´s great to spend time with a teenager that is going through the ´don´t hug me in front of my friends´ phase as it´s showing him I can be interested in something HE likes. He does play online with his friends, but doesn´t need to be in front of it all the time. It´s the time we live in, and most kids do have them, just like the internet and smartphones. Keeping a balance is more important then keeping them away from it completely, because that will just make them outcasts!

re... : What effects have you noticed from overuse of X-Box etc?           reply
12/01/2011 19:54 - Teenage Issues
Tempting to put in bedroom but keep it in a used room so u can control length of time on it, an hour is like five mins to them when on it we set an egg timer and leave it beside our 11 year old that goes off ten mins before he has to get off but could be addictive

re... : What effects have you noticed from overuse of X-Box etc?           reply
06/11/2010 15:47 - Teenage Issues
That´s worrying butterfly. Good idea about all screens off. Must try that one. My own opinion is that the xbox is an enormous distraction, especially to those supposed to be studying.

04/11/2010 23:31 - Teenage Issues
My nephew is tuned out when on the xbox. They go into a world of their own, or so it appears. I have heard of others who have become addicted to xbox and the like, resulting in having to attend addiction counsellors. This would clearly be an extreme example.

29/07/2011 08:25 - Teenage Issues
My advice to anybody thinking of buying an xbox is to forget the whole idea.We gave an xbox to our boy when he was eight and he absolutely loves it. We try to monitor it but we are always being asked for it I have heard so many bad stories about this how it affects their mood, studies etc... that if i had known about it i would have never have allowed one in the house. Believe me it definitely affects their mood so much that i have decided to sell ours.

05/11/2010 09:04 - Teenage Issues
Don´t think there is much difference between the xbox and playstation - each has potential to be addictive! I have noticed in my own kids and in nieces and nephews that it´s the boys who would stay playing xbox (or wii or playstation) indefinitely unless you restrict it. The girls are more likely to get bored after a while and go and do something else.

I have noticed with my own young lad that if you don´t restrict his access to screens (this includes tv, wii, playstation, computer & nintendo) then that´s all he´ll do. However if you tell him ´off all screens´ ( a common phrase in our house) then he´ll read books, play card games and interact with his sibling.

I think the potential for serious addiction is with the online games. I´ve heard of some young teenagers who have needed counselling, refused to go to school etc as ´needed´ to be playing the ´game´.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;