Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Should I be paid for bank holidays?

re... : Should I be paid for bank holidays?           reply
12/03/2016 08:11 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Thanks a mil for your help, like you I would prefer to be out working and PG will be in the future.
I appreciate your advice.

Should I be paid for bank holidays?           reply
11/03/2016 19:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Wicklow)
Hi, I´ve often scrolled through these discussions but never actually asked any of my questions... until now.

I´m just wondering and/or looking for advice. I recently started minding my neighbours child, he´s now 1 and a half. I mind him from half 7am to 6pm fours days a week for 35euros per day.
We never really laid down ground rules in the beginning. She only pays me for the days that I have him...as in, if they take a snow day, or a spur of the moment day off or if a grandparent visits for a week, then I dont get paid. I also dont get paid for bank holidays which is beginning to bug me but I have no idea what the norm is, as I am unregistered and working for cash.
Can someone please give me advice, thank you.

re : Should I be paid for bank holidays?           reply
12/03/2016 08:00 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I´m assuming your in your house...Taking cash is unfortunately a way for a childminder to used and abused...your at mercy of family...iv a pay as they use Family but iv accounted for this in my rate. So if off iv kind of earned the money already. I´d obviously prefer to be working but don´t resent I´m not. Youv a very long day and fact it´s only four days you on lower end of rate scale.
No selfemployed childminder or any selfemployed person is entitled to bhols..cash absolutely not. However many declaring childminders have paid bank hols in contact.
Taking cash, many think ones liability in an accident is simply not there...your running a huge risk...
If you are in situation where you can declare your future earning then you can change things for yourself. Draw up a contract and arrange meeting with your neighbour.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;