Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Should I approach parent who has complained about my daughter in school

Should I approach parent who has complained about my daughter in school           reply
10/03/2018 00:23 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
Need some advice please. My daughter (just gone 6) came home from school yesterday advising me that the teacher had spoken to her about taking turns and letting others have a chance at playing their games. The teacher proceeded to tell my daughter that a number of parents had come to her to complain. Luckily my daughter relayed this information to me. She was obviously extremely upset. I contacted the teacher by email last night in the hope that my daughter had misunderstood but it turns out that two parents in her immediate friend group had come forward to express their concerns over my daughters behaviour. I am obviously very upset by my daughters behaviour, the teachers approach and also the fact that the behaviour had been happening since January and was never brought to my attention. Both the teacher and I are going to work through her behaviour and hopefully rectify it asap. My question is this: Do I approach the parents (who I know very well) and apologise for her behaviour or not? I feel if I don´t say something it will fester away at me but I don´t want any further issues developing.

re : Should I approach parent who has complained about my daughter in school           reply
10/03/2018 10:01 - Ask Mother Hen
Personally this teacher has acted very unprofessional, first in speaking of such things to your daughter but second giving you the names of other parents involved. They would have contacted the school concerning their own child, not with the purpose of complaining about your but to make sure their own were content in school. The teacher needs to manage her classroom so all learn and work well together. You as a parent should be her first point of contact so the three of you could work together, she´s only 6 so a gentle approach is needed. Go to the teacher personally and I would arrange a meeting with the principal.
As for other parents, forget the names youv been told and carry on as normal with them. Approaching them could open a different can of worms. Iv never seen a parent confrontation that ended well outside the school gates (not literally). Liaison only with the school. If the school feel a meeting with parents together is necessary that´s the next step but that would be for more serious situations/older children.

re... : Should I approach parent who has complained about my daughter in school           reply
10/03/2018 10:05 - Ask Mother Hen
Sorry, another point,,,none of the complaining parents came straight to you...they could be mortified/angry etc on knowing you know.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;