Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Severe Bullying Help!

re... : Severe Bullying Help!           reply
04/10/2007 20:58 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Thank you everyone for the replys, they really do help. I have sent the letter to the board of management and I hope that this will accomplish something. I really do not want to take my child out of the school as I feel that this will be running away and wont do her any favours. I am in this till the end and I am determined to protect my child. I am going to stand and supervise the yard time myself and if they want me to leave the yard they will have to physically remove me. I have gone to the guards and made a report, my GP has examined my little girl and has wrote a letter to the school as to her findings. So fingers crossed, I will have better news very soon. If not by all means I will go to the papers.
Thanks Again and I will let you all know what happens.

re : Severe Bullying Help!           reply
03/10/2007 20:00 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi Jess,
I had the same problem as you. All my three children were bullied by the same family of five.After six years of going in and out of the school and nothing being done, I got legal advice.The advice I got was [1] Keep all records of bullying. [2] Keep all records of meetings with the principle.[3]Send letters of complaint to the principle, the board of management and the dept. of education. Before I could do this one of my children was attacked by one of the bullies in class. That day I removed all three children from the school.I informed the board of management and the Dept.of education that they would not return to school until something was done and I was taking legal action. Within two days, the bullies were suspended. My children returned to school and we have had no problems since.But it makes me mad that it was only the threat of legal action put a stop to it.

re... : Severe Bullying Help!           reply
01/10/2007 11:54 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I have called the anti bullying centre thanks, my next move is to send a letter to the board of management which I am currently working on, I will have it ready to post on Wednesday. I have to bring my little girl to the doctor this week also as she has began to lose her hair and is not sleeping and complaining of headaches and tummy aches. She has lost some of her confidence too and it breaks my heart to see my little girl suffer so much and I feel that I am doing nothing, I want to shake the principal and make her see what I see. Its frustrating to think that a school can allow such behaviour to occur. Their answer when I treatened to go further with this was to move my child up a year, how dare they want to single my child out more. Has she not been through enough???

02/10/2007 22:30 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi Jessica,
When i read your entry i just had to log in and reply. I had exactly the same problem with my 7 yr old last year in second class. He was emotionally and physically bullied and had been on and off by the same child since junior infants. The school would like parents to believe that they had a no tolerance of bullying policy in place, but the reality was very different. I approached the teacher and principal on many different levels and on very many occasions. The results of which were always very poor. The bully was a problem for the whole class, but singled out my son on numerous occasions as a bit of a softy and went for him in a big way. The bully was disciplined every day with star charts and the like...all a waste of time and the school refused to exclude him....almost making my well behaved child out to be the problem...and that maybe my child needed better coping skills!!! I then decided to take my child out of that school, but then re-thought this. I then went to the principal and told her that i would not be taking my child out of the school as then she would never have to deal with the problem. I also documented everything, the beatings, the threats etc and how they were being dealt with and told the principal that i was going to present this to the board of management. This did not seem to phase her in the slightest. So i decided to up the stakes and told her how the local neswpapers would love a human issue story like this....the school who refuses to stand up to the bully!
This step was not taken lightly. This was only threatened after months and months of witnessing my happy out going child reduced to a shell of his former self. The result of this final meeting was quite astounding. Within a week, the bully had a behavioural psychologist vsiit him and a special need assistant for a couple of hours each day. After nearly a years worth of meetings this is what it took! Sad, but that unfortunately is the reality. The bully´s parents were also in this case completely unapproachable. My son is now in third class and is back to his happy self. This is such a relief. Sorry ive gone on a bit, but i hope that this gives you some hope. Why should your daughter have to move. Im so glad i did what i did because if we had have moved i think it would have given my son the wrong message...that when the going gets tough we run. As it was, we stayed and fought, and i truly believe that hes stronger for it. Good luck, let us know how you get on....its the bully that needs to be dealt with, moving your daughter is just a quick fix for the school.xxx

02/10/2007 13:23 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
the Board will have to address your issues. It is possible that the board hasn´t even been made aware of them by the Principal. I would suggest you keep a log/record of what has been going on, if possible include dates, instances, etc. Best of luck. Its so unfair that the bully always gets away with it while the innocent child invariably suffers the consequences - why should your child have to move up/down a year, change school, etc. The board has a responsibillity to protect and listen to ALL the children of the school.

01/10/2007 09:28 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi Jessica
That sounds like quite a distressing situation you have on your hands. One suggestion would be to contact the Anti-Bullying Centre in TCD - here is their website address and contact details - www.abc.tcd.ie . (01) 896 2573 / 896 3488
They provide information to schools and parents on bullying issues and I believe they also provide individual support sessions. They may be in a position to advise you on how to approach the school further on the issue.

Severe Bullying Help!           reply
30/09/2007 19:26 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
My 7 yr old daughter is in a very bad way due to bullying in school. She is now in 2nd class and has been physically and emotionally bullied since senior infants, the school say that they their policy is to hold group chats and talks in assembly to combat this but my daughter is changing into a nervous wreck. she hardly sleeps she is insecure she doesnt want to go to school has missed days and is very afraid. THE SCHOOL IS REFUSING TO HELP MY DAUGHTER! The parents of the child in question are not approachable and are aggressive themselves and I think that the school are afraid. The older sister of the bully has also started to join in. What am I to do????

discussion forum terms & conditions

;