Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Schools in Swords

re... : Schools in Swords          
08/06/2008 20:52 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
To all the Lads & Lassies on this post.

KD asked if anyone had advice in relation to Swords Educate Together National School. I think someone mentioned earlier to Mr/Ms KD could contact the school directly on through the school´s website.

As I am sure that KD is wise to the world he/she will know what questions to ask in order to make right choice for her twins.

Cheers,
Berti S

07/06/2008 08:59 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. It sounds like the perfect place! (so near to me too) I have them enrolled since January, so i hope i get a place for them. I will phone the school on Monday. thanks again. I dont know of any parent sending their child there, as my children go to play group near a local catholic school, so most of them will progress to there. Its great to hear from somebody who has first hand experience. Thanks again.

09/06/2008 16:08 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi all

We have decided to omit this thread from the ´recent postings´ section on our homepage. The thread will remain open for genuine contributions and will continue to be accessible via the same url, and from the forums.

SchoolDays.ie

re : Schools in Swords          
06/06/2008 18:06 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi KD,

We have two children presently in Swords Educate Together National School since its start up. Educate Together are up an coming with planning permission being granted all over the country. Information is readily available on the school´s website www.swordseducatetogether.ie where you will be able to contact the Principal or the very nice school secretary directly to find out what you need. I would be careful to put your posting on a public thread as some people may not give you an honest view, they may have other agendas while providing you with advice. I think it would be best if you contacted the school directly to get an honest view of things.

The Principal is very friendly and approachable and he will give you a very honest appraisal of the school´s ethos. It is child-centred and where no child is an outsider, all different all equal etc.

The school has a very professional Board of Management who work very hard to keep the school running. They are very accessible have a very balanced view when dealing with problems. I should say that the school has received some negative publicity in the media of late but I am sure it is all just hearsay and conjecture. I would not pay any attention to it. Despite that there is a very active community spirit in the school.

There are other schools in Swords too but I would reckon Swords Educate Togther ranks right up there with the best. Also, the teachers are great, very professional and great with the kids. They have great Special Needs and Learning resources. Their program is presently concentrating on Equality. Some of the teachers are very sports minded, others are very musical, while others are very artistic.

Best of Luck with your choice for your twins.

11/06/2008 16:12 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I have 2 children in Educate Together Swords and find the school absolutely fantastic. I could not fault it in any way. The principal, teachers, BOM etc are fantastic. My children are so happy there and couldn´t speak highly enough about the school. They are very child focused in the school and have a policy that no child is an outsider. In the playground they have a circle for children to go into if they are feeling like they have nobody to play with and another child then comes into the circle to take the child out to play. An excellent idea. There is also a very active fund raising committee and they organise bag packs / comedy nights / marathons etc for the school in order to purchase supplies for the school. They recently raised Euro 12000 for a comedy night, which shows how the school pulls together along with the parents to ensure all our children get the best of care and tution.

06/06/2008 17:56 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi,

your post and my reply seem to have vanished! Just wondering if you had any other information to relation to other schools in the area? The ET school would have been in walking distance to me, but I dont mind travelling if its the right school - my preference would be a multi or non denominational school, uniform does not bother me. Most schools are mixed at junior level, I think. Thanks.

08/06/2008 12:32 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I´m very surprised a parent would put their childrens name down for a school knowing nothing about a school. Surely the first thing a parent would do is go to the bother of making enquiries first and then put names down for a place. Very odd indeed.

08/06/2008 20:04 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi desimum,
You obviously don´t live in the greater dublin area? In Dublin it is quite common that parents put their children´s names down in as many schools as will take them. My children´s names were put down in two primary schools the day after they were born and we were lucky to get a place in one of them. My youngest is just finishing jnr infants and we have his name down in two secondary schools for 2015. So not so odd at all!!

08/06/2008 19:40 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
It´s odd to put names down not knowing anything about a school before you conduct some research into it including using discussion boards to do so. I would have thought anyone considering any school, creche, childminder or child orientated activity would at the very least make some enquiry before enrolling their child/ren first and then enrol afterwards.

Schools in Swords          
06/06/2008 15:59 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
i have just moved into the Applewood area in Swords, i have 3 year old twin boys who will be starting school in Sept 09. I have enrolled them in Swords educate Togethr, but dont know anything about the school. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

08/06/2008 18:38 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Indeed Deisemum, Thats why they have these things called discussion boards so people can express an opinion. Not so odd at all.

07/06/2008 16:59 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi ET Phone Home and KD,

I would like to, if I may, provide the other side of the coin to ET Phone Home´s post wrt the school. We also have children in Swords Educate Together but have had an altogether different experience since last Christmas. On the outside it is flawless, a hive of activity, a flag-ship utopian-style school, but, as has been our experience it is not as child-centred as it sells it to be.

All of this can be confirmed by the school. We would advise a potential parents to ask to view the school´s bullying policy in respect of children and not the one on their website which only covers Adult Bullying. A potential parent should ask to see the full Child First Guidelines and notjust what is in the school´s blue handbook. A potential parent should check if all the school´s policies are adequate and one should not just take the school´s word that all of the policies are adequate. Not to check may cause a potential parent a problem in the event that a complaint.

You should treat applying to a new school like buying a new house. Make sure you know as much as you can and not just what is advertised.

08/06/2008 18:43 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi KD,
If you live in Applewood I believe a new ET school will be built there shortly. A good opportunity to get in a ground level if you wish. The other ET school and Gaelschoil would also be good local choices.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;