Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Right Age to Disco!

re... : Right Age to Disco!           reply
16/12/2006 14:39 - Teenage Issues
-----------------------------------
Listen,
It is unfair to not allow your daughter to join her peers as long as you have a responsible adult taking them and picking them up and you establish ground rules and build trust. Agree the consequences if any of the above are broken. You cannot hold back on allowing her fun and some freedom. Oh God my time will come for this too when my 10 year old gets there!!

All the best,

Frances

30/10/2010 20:21 - Teenage Issues
It probably depends on the child and on the disco. There are discos and there are discos.

18/02/2008 11:22 - Teenage Issues
Hi, I think it also depends on the kind of place your daughter wants to go to, and how girls behave there in general. My fifteen year old son goes to a teenage disco sometimes, and I must say I am shocked by the attire and general behaviour of some girls. My son has told me NEVER to let my daughter(who is now 7) go to these disco´s. And if it comes from him, that´s telling something.
He has seen girls putting there nickers on just before they leave the disco, I´ve seen girls in red Latex Ann Summers nursing uniforms..... So my advice would be, let her have fun by all means, but check out the place first. Not by asking the parents, but by talking to other teenagers!

18/12/2006 17:53 - Teenage Issues
Don´t think I can fully agree with you on this one Frances. Just because her peers are going doesn´t mean that you should allow your daughter go -it depends a lot on the maturity of your child and quite often many of them are quite happy to be told by their parents they can´t go so as to save them having to tell their friends they don´t want to go. And while it is important that they are safely dropped and collected form the event my concern would be more about that type of behaviour they would witness at many of these teenage discos. As parents we try to monitor the type of television our kids watch so as to ensure that it is age appropriate yet at many of these discos our relatively young daughters can be exposed to a wide range of sexual activity that we would not let them watch on TV. If you have any concerns about the disco, the supervision at the disco or the crowd going I think you shouldn´t hesitate to say no - no matter how many of her friends are going!

26/10/2010 15:49 - Teenage Issues
How about a 12 year old who never comes home on time, doesn´t make the slightest effort in the house or even her room, and makes up a different story every time you ask her something ? There´s no trust there from my side tbh. This is pretty much an overnight change. Until there is a behaviour change that demonstrates her maturity there´s no way she´s going to a disco.

12/08/2011 09:08 - Teenage Issues
you are the nices mother in the world i bet!!! i wish my mother was like that!!!

28/10/2010 22:51 - Teenage Issues
12 is too young, especially if s/he isn´t playing by the rules and in on time etc etc.

Right Age to Disco!           reply
06/11/2006 19:12 - Teenage Issues
My fourteen year old daughter is asking to go to a local disco which is run specifically for her age group in a local rugby club. I am getting the usual - "all my mates parents are letting them go". I have resisted letting her go till now and have told her that she will need to be sixteen before I let her go. One of my neighbours daughters who she is pally with is going. My neighbour assures me that the disco is well supervised and has offered to pick them up at 11am if I let my daughter go. I am still keen to resist - what response can I give without looking like the mother from hell?

re : Right Age to Disco!           reply
13/11/2006 20:11 - Teenage Issues
I think 14 is the age they all start going to discos now. I was´nt keen to let my daughter go to wesley this year when she turned 14 but all her friends were going and I let her go. She loves getting ready to go out with her friends. They get dropped there and collected. As long as you trust your daughter and tell her what you expect from her (behaviour wise) I think you should think about letting her go. You never know she might hate it and not want to go again. Megan

discussion forum terms & conditions

;