Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Nanny in own home

Nanny in own home           reply
27/03/2017 13:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi, I´m wondering what is fair to pay a nanny in my home to mind my little girl who is 18 months? I´m speaking with someone who is looking for 12e an hour cash, which seems like a lot?

re : Nanny in own home           reply
27/03/2017 20:10 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Be very careful paying cash...the responsibly of it all falls to you as the employer. Google au pair recent rulings. You nanny could be claiming benefits and if revenue find out you haven´t registered her you will also have to pay back her benefits. You also need issue a contract (protection for yourself).
A nanny is entitled to minimum wage at least, its up to you to offer a rate of pay but anyone with experience, qualifications, location and amount kids/duties, amount of hours all have bearings on the rate the nanny will accept. Having a nanny is the most expensive form of childcare. How many hours over how many days is it for?

re... : Nanny in own home           reply
27/03/2017 20:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Ya that´s a worry of mine tbh and I don´t think she has a childcare qualification. It´s approx 35 hours a week mon to fri.

re... : Nanny in own home           reply
28/03/2017 06:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Ask for a CV or if the person is a lady you know it may feel difficult but this person had no issue asking for €12 an hr cash. Garda vetting, first aid and experience of your age child would be minimum. Has she plans to get your child out and about etc. A childminder would be at least half what this nanny would be, who would responsible for her own taxes and offer insurance etc. If a cash nanny has an accident where are you...there is a case I read in last few weeks a registered nanny fell on swimming pool entry steps but was not doing a role on her contract, parent couldn´t make the run.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;