Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Moving to new area just before school yr starts

re : Moving to new area just before school yr starts           reply
07/08/2012 12:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi,
Don´t know the area but I can tell you that we have moved county twice during the summer months with our kids starting new primary schools in the September. Happened last minute both times and each time we found a good school, so yes in my experience schools do make provision for this.

Moving to new area just before school yr starts           reply
28/04/2012 18:45 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Cork)
Hi there,
My ds who is 4 1/2 is starting JI in sept 12. His name is down in the local school since he was a baby & he has a place (carrigaline) However now it looks highly likely we will be moving up to cork city (ballyphehane) in June so he won´t be able to go to the school in carrigaline as I don´t drive & no bus near us goes there (school has to be in walking distance). There are 4 schools in the area all in walking distance. Does anyone know what is the usual procedure for newcomers to the area? Do schools keep places open for this scenario or what happens so the child can attend school? Many thanks

re : Moving to new area just before school yr starts           reply
29/04/2012 18:39 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi. Good luck with your house move! It depends on the school and the only way you will find out is by making direct contact with the schools you are interested in. A certain amount depends also on what part of Ballyphehane you will be living in. If you are close to Turners Cross, Scoil an Criost Ri might be worth a look. If you are near the Lough or Togher, Glasheen Boys School has an excellent reputation. Togher might also be worth a call. Have you made contact with any of the schools to check? You can pm if you like.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;