Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Looking for a good secondary school in Cork city

re... : Looking for a good secondary school in Cork city           reply
17/05/2009 16:32 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
It depends if we like here we stay for a residence and till the end of our son graduation.

17/05/2009 22:07 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
When you say your husband is half Irish, do you mean that one of his parents was born in Ireland or that it was one of his ancestors? Has your husband been to Ireland? Many people I know who have come to this country have settled well. Obviously there will be things you like about it and then there are bound to be some things you miss about home.
I have friends who came to live here from America 3 years ago and have settled well.

re : Looking for a good secondary school in Cork city           reply
11/05/2009 13:43 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I think you are the lady who posted before. If you are open to single sex schools which many of the very good schools in Cork are, then you would have a very good choice. If you let me know whether you are confined to mixed schools or whether you would consider single sex schools, I could then give you suggestions. You could also let me know if you are confined to a particular area.

17/05/2009 11:10 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Much depends on how long you intend staying in Cork. If you will be here for 3 years, for example, you would probably want your son to complete Leaving Cert before you return. At that point, he would be younger than most others but it shouldn´t be a problem.

17/05/2009 20:26 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I mean when my son is done with school, leaving cert. year.
I think we plan to stay minimum 4,5 years in Ireland.

17/05/2009 20:19 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I presume when you say graduation that you mean finishing secondary school. I know that in the U.S. there is a ´graduation´ from High School but in Ireland, graduation is from University.

Looking for a good secondary school in Cork city           reply
11/05/2009 01:10 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Cork)
We are moving to Cork this summer from California. And I am looking for a good secondary school for my 14 years old son.
Any recommendations?
Thank you

Lena

12/05/2009 17:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Try Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh, Bishopstown,
Colaiste an Chriost Ri, Turners Cross,
Christian Brothers, Sidney Place, (Fee paying)
for starters. They are all relatively close to UCC and are good schools.

17/05/2009 02:16 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Can you tell me, please; for Junior certificate you have to study for three years and for Leaving cert. is it the same?
Thank;s
My son will be 14 at the beginning of June, so will he join second or third year of Junior. Cert?

16/05/2009 23:58 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
You would have a better chance of securing a place in the school of your choice after Junior Cert because there is always a certain amount of movement after Junior Cert with a few pupils moving.

17/05/2009 11:03 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
It depends on the school.The senior cycle is two years but most schools offer a transition year also which increases it to 3 years. In some schools the transition year is compulsory.

11/05/2009 20:39 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Yes, it;s me
Now i think to look for any school not just co-ed. My husband will be in Cork next week starting his job and i want him to go to particular schools but i have no clue for now. I think we want to rent a place near UCC or a city center. I sent email to Presentation Brothers but they said "no".

17/05/2009 21:02 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thank you
Just it;s so hard to find the right school and a place where to settle especially in a new country where we have never been or travel...
But my husband is half Irish, me- Russian( i am pretty familiar with the European culture)

13/05/2009 17:04 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Just because the names are in Gaelic doesn´t have any bearing on the culture within the schools. These schools were named in the 1960s/1970s when they were first opened. Irish is taught as a subject in the same way in all three schools. The only difference between Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh and Christians is that the latter is fee paying. Both achieve very good academic results but much depends on which school you will be able to secure a place.

17/05/2009 20:47 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
The reason I ask is because of the 4th year which is called Transition Year. It is a less academic year where the children get to do some work experience as well as try out other activities. You may or may not want your son to do this but it is compulsory in many schools.
There is also the option of fee paying schools in the city centre to consider after junior cert. These are co-ed but there is no provision for extra-curricular. It is purely concentrating on academic performance.

12/05/2009 23:41 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Can you tell me, please first both schools that you mentioned i think focuses more on Gaelic culture and tradition( I figure out that when i check their websites) and i think Christian Brothers( it looks like it;s a very good school) maybe will fit better for my son who doesn´t know Irish language at all.
What do you think?
Thank you

16/05/2009 23:57 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
If you wish to pay fees then Christians would be good. I doubt that you would secure a place in Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh. You could try Colaiste an Chriost Ri though.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;