Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Inservice Days

re... : Inservice Days           reply
07/12/2006 20:52 - School holidays / Inservice
-----------------------------------
Now I too see both sides. It is true that INSERVICE is necessary as it is in any on-going training in any establishment. However wouldn´t all you teachers and all you parents like to know in advance. It means planning - not a culture we are used to in this country but guess what - We have to!. We can no longer sit back and just wait for events to happen. You see the effects it has on parents teachers and employers. I doubt it will be tolerated much longer.Other xountries manage it why can´t we?. Unacceptable in my view as we all need to organsie our lives and that of our children. The system in place at the moment is designed around the fact that Mums were usually always home - Yes 50 years ago maybe but not now. So Come on Dept of Ed. and Schools Plan ahead - It is what you guys DO everyday for each class, for each year don´t you??? Schemes of work lesson plans etc now build your traiing around that too and hey presto - cohesion!

I know you will add more,

Frances

Inservice Days           reply
02/09/2006 12:03 - School holidays / Inservice
Does anyone know how many primary inservice days there are likely to be this year - I´m trying to work out how many days I need to hold on to from my work holidays?

re : Inservice Days           reply
02/09/2006 18:33 - School holidays / Inservice
I think that there are 5 inservice/planning days to be taken this year. The dept of education will definitely know. The local education centre organises the inservice days and when the inservice days are over the school holds the planning days. Your school might not know the inservice dates yet so they can´t pick the planning days. Inservice days are being held for the 11 subject areas but they are nearly all covered now. It would however be helpful if we could get ample notice from the school so that we can organise childcare.

20/10/2006 09:00 - School holidays / Inservice
Teaching is a job like any other so why on earth should parents "be thankful that your teachers have the drive and passion to stay in the schools teaching your children". Why should parents be thankful that you are doing a job that you are paid to do - for god sake you make it sould like it´s voluntary! There are lots of jobs that people are in where they are moaned at and might consider they are not fully appreicated but whya re so many teachers so sanctimonious about their jobs? If you don´t like your job, then leave! Please don´t imply that people should be grateful to you for your career choice.

19/09/2006 20:51 - School holidays / Inservice
Dear Ellie
As a parent and teacher I can appreciate both sides. Inservice days are an essential part of the implementation of the revised curriculum, nobody disputes that. Nevertheless childcare arrangements have to be made when (for whatever reason) the school is closed. The school in which I work is conscious of this and gives parents as much notice as possible. In my experience parents are very appreciative of the work done by teachers. Childminding is itself a difficult and onerous task and I have great respect for the people (mostly women) who carry out this job. Our job is to teach the children that are in our care.

02/09/2006 14:38 - School holidays / Inservice
I heard from one of work colleagues that there was going to be an additional 5 in-service days this year (over and above previous years). Can you believe it? How are working parents supposed to manage this?

14/09/2006 08:16 - School holidays / Inservice
I have received a notice from the school stating that there will be a total of 7 in service days this year.

28/06/2015 16:40 - School holidays / Inservice
The school year was standardised as requested and the airlines were able to increase prices, children loose out .
There were complained about school holidays ,working hours were increased pay was decreased. The increased working hours were to produce paperwork to show parents that their children were being educated . Really??? Children loose out.
Teaching and contact time with children was not increased ,children loose out .
Education is standardised children loose out. Teachers have always give more than 200% to their students now they are struggling to give 100%.due to the fact that the spend so much time on paper work for officials not for children.
Experiments on how to educate as with ´project maths´ has proven children loose out.
Teaching becomes a job nobody wants a person´ doing a job´ to look after their children .Children deserve more than a ´job" don´t they .
There will be soon no problems with teacher . People will not go into teaching . They cannot live on the income ,this is a fact . They can´t live with the stress . They have few experiences teachers left to support them as they develop their teaching career . This is the first time that it has happened in the history of the state .The cannot be motivate by constant battering from the media . They cannot be motivated as professionals by educational cuts. The work 12 hour days preparing for each individual student .The hold the future of your children in their hands and nobody seems to realise that.
Teachers cannot take have off days at work , children demands you have to be at the top of your game every minute of every day , class sizes are too big , children with special needs get less than they should . The paperwork will not support good but the statistics look good .
Teachers are leaving the country by the plane load .
Teachers need parental support to help their children ,or maybe not .
It is not possible to facilitate everyone teacher are parents too . The have to go to PTM,s get childcare , go to doctors have home disasters too . Do they complain when parents take children out of school to go on cheaper holidays when they are in the middle of teaching something essential to their child . I´d like to see them try .
Just having a rant , children have to be the most important elements in our society and we have to realise nothing can stand in the way of providing the best we can for each individual child in the country.
They just need people to spend quality time with them to help them grow into the adult they are meant to be. OR MABYE NOT.

13/03/2007 17:28 - School holidays / Inservice
I know you´ll all think I´m mad thinking so far ahead but does anyone know if there are many Inservice Days at primary level next year - 2007/2008. I have to change my child minding arrangements for next year and am just trying to anticipate in advance whether there will be a substantial number of full days to cover. Another parent mentioned to me that she thought the Inservice days were coming to an end as training for most of the primary school subjects had now been covered. Anyone know if this is the case?

27/06/2007 13:21 - School holidays / Inservice
As far as we know there wont be any inservice days in 2007/08 but there will be at least 1 school planning day ( the school will be closed to pupils) - we haven´t been told what the Department of Education intends to do beyond that. Not much of a help I know but we are all in the dark- children, parents and teachers.

06/10/2006 19:36 - School holidays / Inservice
I am on our school BOM and there are 7 inservice days this year but it is the last year for these from the department

21/06/2007 22:01 - School holidays / Inservice
Hi everyone, I don´t think there are any for next year. I think all the curriculum areas have been covered. fantastic news for parents and teachers I´m thinking!!

06/09/2006 08:44 - School holidays / Inservice
I read an article in the Sunday Business Post last week which said there would be six extra days so its all a little confusing. There will obviously be somewhere between 5-7 days. The article also mentioned that parents will get late notice of the closures as the timetable for the training days has not yet been drawn up. Doesn´t sound very promising - likely to cause us all lots of headaches with childminding.

17/09/2006 18:42 - School holidays / Inservice
may i just tell all you complaining parents that these inservice and planning days are a vital part of your childs education. how do you expect a curriculum to be put in place without the teachers knowing of new teaching methods, especially those who graduated pre 1999 - so please, stop the moaning and be thankful that your teachers have the drive and passion to stay in the schools teaching your children regardless of your moaning and groaning. Teachers are not childminders, they´re teachers.

02/09/2006 18:38 - School holidays / Inservice
I think that there are actually 7 inservice/planning days to be taken this year. The dept of education will definitely know. The local education centre organises the inservice days and when the inservice days are over the school holds the planning days. Your school might not know the inservice dates yet so they can´t pick the planning days. Inservice days are being held for the 11 subject areas but they are nearly all covered now. It would however be helpful if we could get ample notice from the school so that we can organise childcare.

17/03/2007 11:10 - School holidays / Inservice
I´m curious about next year as well Molly. Someone mentioned to me to phone my local Education Centre who would probably know so I might do that and will let you know if I find out anything.

21/06/2007 19:58 - School holidays / Inservice
Orla
Did you ever find out if there were many Inservice Day lined up for next year? Like you I would like to do some forward planning and it would help to know how many days I need save from my hols.

02/09/2006 13:26 - School holidays / Inservice
Not sure but you could check Dept of Education website.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;