Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How much to charge?

How much to charge?           reply
04/04/2017 15:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Galway)
-----------------------------------
Hi all,

I´m looking for some advice re childminding in my own home. I have a couple of people looking for their child to be minded from 8am-2pm or 9am-2pm, Mon-Fri, if I was to accept one of the jobs being offered, I would only be looking after one child under one (6 months old).

Just wondering what a decent rate of pay is? I have over 10yrs experience with children, particularly babies, I´m garda vetted and have first aid. The home is also smoke and pet free. I will not be providing meals, at the moment, as the baby is starting to wean.

What is a fair rate of pay for 1:1 childminding for an under 1 in the childminders home?

Hope you guys can help!

re : How much to charge?           reply
04/04/2017 18:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Are you insured to childmind?

re... : How much to charge?           reply
04/04/2017 18:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Not at the moment but in the process of registering.

06/04/2017 05:07 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I´d get that completed first and then advertise and price accordingly, €5 an hr approx for registered childminder but part-time hours can be more if you wish. The work is out there so set your rates and stick to them. There are unregistered childminders minding for as low as €2 an hr and are over numbers in order to make it work. Its very risky childmind with no insurance, accidents do happen like in any place.

06/04/2017 21:50 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Great, thanks for the advice. Just curious as to why the hourly rate for a registered childminder is so low (€5ph)?

07/04/2017 06:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
It used to be lower, the acceptable rate, €4, 4.50. Many registered arent even getting that if they need the fulltime work but the registered will wait for the right family. Word of mouth and advertising your service will certainly get you the families looking/pricing. Childminders are self employed so minimum wage doesn´t apply.
If a childminder has three children at 5€ that €15 an hr but very few would sustain that full-time in a quality service because of sheer exhaustion. (I often read a parent saying their child is watching TV all day in care, the headcount is too many!) Its more a case fitting children around each other.
It also has to be affordable to parents.
The new ACS will change everything in September if it comes in, it will certainly reduce/wipe out the demand for the unregistered, perhaps even the notified(awaiting to see if included).

07/04/2017 09:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thank you for the information. Is there a set rate (day rate) for full-time 1:1 childcare in a childminders home? Thanks and apologies for all the questions.

07/04/2017 16:35 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Many parents feel childminder day rate should be less than a creche whos day rate can run from 7am to 7pm. Majority don´t offer a full day rate but rather look at what hours are needed and charge accordingly, you will find it hard to say charge full day rate if parents only need 5 hours.
The 1:1 care really is only an advantage if parents paying a nanny in their own home. The reason childminders are preferred often is childminders own children and other minded children so often a great age range in a family setting and small number of children for greater attention. Childminders can pop to Toddler groups, playground, play dates etc.

07/04/2017 17:42 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks.
I´m now being asked to mind a special needs (mobile and low on spectrum of his condition) 3.5 year old, who I already work with a few hours per week. For 1-3 days per week depending on what the parents need from 8am-6pm. I offered my home but will also have him at theirs too.
Can you recommend a rate that is fair to both me and them?

07/04/2017 20:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
In child´s home the parents must register as your employer and its minimum wage at least. In what capacity do you work with this child already?. You really need a contract with full policy and procedures with insurance and especially for any special needs to cover yourself you´d need doctor advice/clearance. Its a very serious situation.
Majority childminders wouldn´t charge any extra for special needs but do look if your setting will suit and benefit the child.

07/04/2017 22:25 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I do hours for the family through the Jack and Jill foundation, been with them since 2014. My setup would be the same as the parents. He´s mobile (walking) and communicating, in his own way. A little extra care is needed for feeding but other than that he´s a typical 3.5yr old.
Do you have any suggestions on rate, if I were minding him in my own home?

discussion forum terms & conditions

;