Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How much should a childminder be paid?

re : How much should a childminder be paid?           reply
03/04/2014 20:08 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
~Hi
You should get minimum wage regardless of age, They should be putting you through the books and if you are your well entitled to holiday pay bank hols etc. Make sure and clarify all that with any employer before you start. Some people can take advantage.~If you have hols booked yourself tell them aswell to avoid confusion longterm.150 a week is ridiculus! Would they work for that. Chilldminnding is a big responsibility and can be very under rated!

re... : How much should a childminder be paid?           reply
03/04/2014 18:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
If you in childs home, you should be at least min wage (have you looked into whole situation of tax/entitlements etc that should be paid by your employer) and be entitled to holidays/bank hols etc (what i read on internet anyway).....I was just saying re holiday/bank hols in my case it a very tough market and pricing is always tricky. Others will prob advise better here that are in children´s home.

30/05/2014 20:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi there, i mind 3 kids in the familys home. All 3 kids are under 6. 7-30am until 5.45pm monday to fri for 320 euro.
This is good enough for me. But i would NOT do it for less than minimum wage, tax or no tax. You are saving the family a fortune by not having the kids sent to a crech etc.

30/05/2014 18:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi does anyone know what i should be charging in the following scenario
3 kids in their own home 5 days a week. I have to travel about half an hour to and from. I am 22 years old thanks :)

03/04/2014 17:46 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Its tough one, you need to decide which is more important: to be working or can you afford to hold out for a well paid position.
I childmind from home, so different position to you. I stick to the hourly rate and reduce a little to a round figure and wouldnt ever mention holiday pay/bank hols etc as the phonecall/emails would stop immediately.

How much should a childminder be paid?           reply
03/04/2014 14:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi :) I´m just wondering what is a usual hourly/daily rate of pay for a childminder. My most recent childminding job which was also my first I was getting €250 for 2 children, approx €5.50 an hour, I was more than happy with this because 1. It was my first full time childminding job I didn´t feel obliged to set my own price, plus hadn´t a clue of what to charge. 2. I only had to travel 5 minutes over the road so wasn´t paying out for transport just giving my lift a few euros as a thank you each week, and 3. I wasn´t given any orders or demands, very little housework would empty dishwasher, put on washing if it was there and clean up after kids and myself, but no ironing polishing or anything else like that was asked of me,the family were so good to me and very easygoing, never once gave out to me or had any issues, never contradicted or questioned how me and the kids spent the day or routines or anything, all they wanted was that their children were kept safe and happy and there was never once a problem with them in my whole 8 months of looking after the children, plus they paid me for some days that they didn´t even need me to work, so I thought it was an extremely fair rate. There aren´t many childminding jobs available in my local area as I live in the country so obviously transport would be involved plus most wanted a sort of housekeeper also, so charge would obviously be different right? I got very lucky with my first job and know well I won´t get so lucky again, that it was so convenient and nearby as well as being a lovely family and children. I´m not working for this family anymore as there is no longer a need so have put up ads for childminding, and have got some ridiculous offers, the best being a 9-5 job, I´d have to travel 20 minutes every morning and evening, housework, 1 child and another next month, for €150 a week. I personally think this is ridiculous especially considering someone´s children are their most prized asset, would think they would be willing to pay a decent rate to ensure their child is well looked after. It seems as if some people are only looking for a skivvy to clean their house. So just wanted to get a rough idea of what minders charge and families pay, it would be minding in the child´s home. I have been babysitting for 8 years and now have 8 months full time childminding experience in the bag. Thanks in advance :)

03/04/2014 18:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Oh no I wouldn´t be asking for a huge price, I´m only 20 so wouldn´t even feel entitled to charge much to be honest personally. Wouldn´t ask for holiday pay either only days I work. Just trying to come up with an approximate rate for if people are enquiring : )

03/04/2014 20:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for the feedback! Holidays wouldn´t be an issue I´d happily work around whatever holidays a family needed off no concrete plans. I know isn´t it, and I´ve seen worst advertised online some as low as €100, that´s slave labour!!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;