Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Glasheen Boys School, Cork.

re... : Glasheen Boys School, Cork.           reply
23/08/2009 22:05 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Was just looking through my postings on this website and it´s exactly 6 months since I got the place for my son in this school. I have to say that all I´ve heard since then has been really good and I am really happy with my choice. I promise to let you all know how it goes but I´m sure it will be great. LOL

re : Glasheen Boys School, Cork.           reply
14/02/2009 20:14 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
my frend son go to this school. i have boy 6year old. he at school in other school.he have no english now. can he learn english in this school.my frend son learn english in this school wen he come to irlande. tamaraki

02/09/2009 20:27 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
3 days down and - fingers crossed - all going really well so far. I know it´s early days but ds loves his teacher (she´s gorgeous). The weather has been horrific - raining all the time - but it hasn´t dampened our enthusiasm. He can hardly wait to get up in the morning to get into school! I´m trying to prepare him for Saturday and explaining that his teacher, himself and all his new friends will be taking a rest for two days after all the wonderful work they are doing!

21/02/2009 01:59 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I saw your details on this web page months ago. I had always intended sending my son to Glasheen in September 2009 but we were due to relocate to Sligo so I registered in a school up there instead. It was only confirmed today that we are Not moving to Sligo. I really want my son to go to Glasheen. Its the weekend now and I´m in a panic. Two boys from my sons playschool are going to Glasheen next year. I heard really really great things about your school from my cousin who has two sons in your school and another one who has just finished. i sent an email this evening and I also left a message on your answer phone. I dont live too far from the school so i hope i get a place. i heard you keep two small infant classes. Lisa

31/05/2010 09:52 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
This is the thread I was mentioning to Corkdad so I hope you find it helpful.

27/03/2009 20:08 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
The Cor Fheile is on this week in Cork City Hall, with schools from all over Co. Cork taking part.
I was there last night to see Glasheen Boys, which was one of 10 schools on show. The boys presented a fantastic play about the Cork Hurling crisis, with the script written by their teacher. Their performance was hilarious and it brought many of the audience to their feet. The boys had it all - amazing comedy, brilliant singing, outstanding acting. The script was absolutely incredible. Both sides were treated fairly and it had a happy ending, so everyone was delighted.
I don´t know if I have ever seen a group of boys who were so happy and proud. The boys were an absolute credit to their teacher, their school and their parents. This is the latest in a line of recent outstanding original comedy dramas in Glasheen. They had a fantastic one on Elvis Presley at Christmas.
I was also shopping in Wilton today and I overheard a conversation where complete strangers were talking about how fantastic the children from Glasheen Boys were last night.
On behalf of the parents, I just wanted to pass on the great news and to say well done. I also wanted to wish Glasheen Boys the best of luck at The Credit Union Quiz All-Ireland Finals in Dublin next weekend. It is their third year in a row to reach the finals. We are all very proud of them.

24/02/2009 17:34 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Any joy with the school place for your child? I´m looking for a school also but not much point if the school is full. I´ll pm Lisa Mama.
Mary

18/11/2009 23:07 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
More good news for Glasheen Boys School today when they won the scith na Scoil Footballs Finals in Pairc ui Caoimh very convincingly. They were brilliant according to all reports. They have lots of success in recent years. All the boys from 1st class up went along to support the team and had a brilliant time.

19/02/2009 22:07 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks Goldilocks. i just saw your reply. That was what I thought too but you verified it for me. I have heard lots of great things about Glasheen School down through the years but wouldn´t have been sure where Scoil Mhuire Gan Smal was. In fact, there are lots of schools by that name all over Ireland.
In future, if I see either name, I´ll know it´s Glasheen School.
Margaret.

19/02/2009 21:18 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Tamakari. I also mentioned your question when I contacted the school. They would not normally be consulting sites like this on a regular basis, so they advised that if you need to get further details that you should email them directly at office@glasheenboys.com . I´m sure they´ll be very helpful and give you the advice that´s best for you and your son. Good Luck.

02/05/2010 18:44 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Bump. This is another thread I mentioned, Cait.

01/09/2009 12:41 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
My little fellow started yesterday. All going really well. Beautiful school. Great teacher.

26/08/2009 18:59 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Must be lots of people from Cork using this website as many of the schools about which people are enquiring seem to be in Cork, for some reason.

06/05/2010 11:07 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Not sure how the school keeps doing it year after year but this seems to be an even better year than last year. I was looking at what I wrote in 2009 when I was wishing the school well in the All-Ireland Finals of the Credit Union Quiz.
This year, the success continues. From newsletters and talking to many other parents and staff, it is phenomenal. This year Glasheen Boys won the local heats for both junior and senior quizzes in the Credit Union and then went on to win both of the Cork finals and got through to the All-Ireland in the RDS. They also won the Cork Final of the NPC quiz and I want to wish them well in the Munster Final in Ennis on Sunday next. (They are the reigning Munster Champions from 2009).
Athletics seems to be to the fore also this year and I know many of the boys who were successful in the interschool sports in West Cork last weekend. Glasheen won the Tug of War for the 25th year and the relay, and a whole selection of individual winners.
Glasheen Boys are also the current holders of Tennis Barber Cup, Scith na Scoil Football and Hurling trophies, Hurling by the Lough trophy winners too. They were also overall winners of the recent Port of Cork interschool competition in which 50 schools took part. I haven´t seen their entry but I heard it was amazing.
All the boys are special and it´s not all about winning but they are doing phenomenally well. There are all sorts of facilities in the school. The kids love the interactive whiteboards and the whole place is so cheerful, welcoming and modern.
This doesn´t all just happen by some miracle. I know that the teachers work really hard and as a parent, I can see that, it doesn´t go unnoticed and appreciate it.
There are probably lots of other great things I have forgotten to include (just looking at some old newsletters and working from memory). Once again, I would like to say well done and good luck to Glasheen Boys on Sunday.

14/02/2009 21:49 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Yes. Glasheen School is also known as Scoil Mhuire Gan Smal. Most local people know it as Glasheen School but the official name is Scoil Mhuire Gan Smal. People seem to use both names.
Goldilocks.

27/02/2009 18:40 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Just wanted to tell Lisamama that I´ve sent you a pm.

re... : Glasheen Boys - 3 IN A ROW           reply
03/06/2010 14:28 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Glasheen Boys won the Scith na Scoil Hurling final today for the third year in a row. (They also won the football earlier this year). We just got a text about it there. Apparently they are going to be on TG4 tonight before 7 o´clock. Well done to all the boys. My little fellow is thrilled even though he´s only small. A great end to a fabulous year.

10/05/2010 21:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Just to agree with all Lynda said and to congratulate the boys once again on the great run of quiz successes. We got a text today telling us that Glasheen was the top Cork school once again in yesterday´s NPC Quiz. Loads of great things happening in the school at the moment. The place is looking brilliant and there are flowers everywhere. The whole school is so colourful, with great displays all around the buildings.
My son told me recently that he´s really lucky to be going to Glasheen boys and I thought it was one of the nicest things I ever heard.

26/09/2009 21:23 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Nearly one month down and my little guy is really happy. It does my heart good to see him so happy coming home from school every day. I was prepared for tears but they didn´t come. One or two others were a bit clingy for the first couple of days but they´ve all settled really well. The teacher is gorgeous and the school continues to impress me with every passing week. For those Mums and Dads starting for the first time next year with your little ones, don´t worry unduly. It has been a very positive experience.

27/02/2009 17:47 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I agree. Was very impressed by the school. It´s definitely a very strong contender. Just trying to sort out minding arrangements but they have a great creche/aftercare in the school so it´s make your mind up time. Thanks for the great advice.

28/08/2009 16:49 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Only 2 more days!!! I don´t know who is more excited - myself or my ds. I think it´s me!! Good luck to all the other Mums and Dads and of course all the boys and girls starting out on their exciting adventure.

Glasheen Boys School, Cork.           reply
11/02/2009 23:18 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
One of the other Mums mentioned your website today and said that our local schools were featuring. I´ve read some of the contributions and just want to agree. My son was in Glasheen. He has now gone onto secondary but has great & happy memories of Glasheen. I was at the graduation ceremony last year where they showed a fantastic DVD of the boys´ 8 years in Glasheen. There wasn´t a dry eye in the hall. It really showed the wonderful times the children had, the progress they made, as well as the many and varied experiences they were given. Well done Glasheen and thank you.

26/02/2009 00:03 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
thanks a mil lisa. I hadn´t checked my computer til now. I will get in touch with this school tomorrow. Sounds very hopeful. mary

14/02/2009 19:48 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Is this the same school as Scoil Mhuire Gan Smal in Glasheen in Cork. Looks like it is. I´ve read about both schools and it looks like its the same school. Is it known by both names?? Thanx. Margaret.

01/03/2009 20:34 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Following advice on another thread last month, when I was using my in-laws´ profile, Glasheen Boys School was recommended to me. We were looking for a school near UCC and CUH hospital.
I have since been in contact with the school on a number of occasions and visited last week, when in Cork. My husband and I were extremely impressed.
I am very happy with the choice we have made and want to thank Schooldays and all who contributed to my original thread.
Fiona.

25/08/2009 21:50 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
omg - only 5 more days and counting. DS says it´s only 5 more sleeps. He is soooo excited. Isn´t it wonderful to be so innocent?

08/04/2009 23:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I heard news today of the All Ireland Credit Union Quiz final in Dublin. Glasheen Boys School finished as one of the top 5 schools in the country for the third year in a row. In 2007 they were 2nd in Ireland, in 2008 they finished 5th and this year they finished in 4th out of 52 teams in the final. Apparently it was very close at the end and they were only 3 points behind the winners. Glasheen has a fantastic record and I know the parents are really proud of the boys. Good luck to the Glasheen lads in the NPC Munster Finals Quiz in May, which they won in 2008.

01/03/2009 00:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Just want to thank goldilocks for all her sensible advice! Hope she keeps up the good work. I´ve told friends about this website and lots have been consulting it. Glad to see plenty of further great reports about Glasheen also.

06/09/2009 18:25 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Best of luck to all the new and existing families, as well as the staff, for the year ahead. Hope the next year will be as successful as the last few years.

26/08/2009 18:51 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Sisi, you spoke about this and other schools in a post about St. Finbarrs. Not sure if you have seen this post so I said I would bring it to your attention. All the schools you have mentioned are featured in this website. They also all have their own websites. I suspect that at this time of year they may be about to be updated but you should get quite a bit of useful information about the schools that way also.

19/02/2009 21:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I contacted the school and they confirmed that both names are used. The official name in Department of Education is Scoil Mhuire Gan Smal B, Glasheen. The school has always been known locally, however, as Glasheen Boys´ School. Many local people may not know where Scoil Mhuire Gan Smal B is but almost everyone knows, or has heard of, Glasheen Boys´ (& Girls´) schools.

23/08/2009 22:02 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Can´t believe it´s nearly back to school time. My ds is starting school next week in Junior Infants in Glasheen. He is very excited about it. Mind you, so am I!! lol

24/02/2009 23:53 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks for the pm Maryt. Yes, I finally got to visit Glasheen School yesterday and I´m thrilled to have secured a place for my son for 2009. It´s a really lovely school. I got very positive vibes the moment I entered the building. Everyone was really nice, the whole place is bright, cheerful, welcoming and child-friendly. There are really fantastic facilities all around the school. I was lucky that they are having two infant classes in 2009, so they had a few places left. I´m over the moon.
Thanks again!

31/08/2009 18:24 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks for all the help. I think Glasheen is probably the strongest contender for my children. Boys and Girls school together. It makes life much easier. I would appreciate any other information on the school.

06/11/2009 19:50 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Seeing as I contributed to another discussion topic earlier where I mentioned Glasheen school, I thought it would be appropriate to point out this thread as there are quite a number of very positive things said about Glasheen boys school where my kids will be going. I already know alot about the school as I have family members and several friends whose kids go to Glasheen.

24/08/2009 21:32 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Yes Lisa. My little guy is going there too. Might see you there next week. All the news is good about the school. All the parents I have heard from have had very positive things to say. Only 6 days left!!!!!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;