Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Gifts for Teacher

re : Gifts for Teacher           reply
04/06/2008 11:43 - Miscellaneous
-----------------------------------
I´d stick with the book vouchers Babs. I know it sounds a boring present but I have a friend who is a teacher and she loves getting the vouchers to stock up on her summertime holiday reading. Better than the boxes of pot pourri!!

re... : Gifts for Teacher           reply
15/11/2008 12:41 - Miscellaneous
i agree a card and just tell them what they did right. I got bundles of presents last year and the only thing i really appreciated was a card from a parent with nothing in it but a note saying thanks for everything!

Gifts for Teacher           reply
03/06/2008 13:46 - Miscellaneous
Anyone any good ideas for end-of-year teacher gifts. I´ve got book vouchers for the teachers most years but was looking for something a bit more personal or interesting. Any good ideas out there?

08/06/2008 14:54 - Miscellaneous
Another idea is the One4All Vouchers sold through An Post which you can spend in all kinds of different shops - not just book shops. their popular with our teachers as they more or less buy what they like. I think you can buy them online from An Post but I´m not sure but you can definitely buy them in the Post Offices.

14/11/2008 19:22 - Miscellaneous
Boy was I glad to see your response as I always find it so difficult to come up with something and it ends up being a box of sweets or a candle or something like that becaue to be honnest I couldn´t afford 20 euro for a book token - am i totally alone out here!!

11/06/2008 21:14 - Miscellaneous
In our school we gather a set amount from as many parents we can i.e 5 euro or so and put it together and give the teachers the cash to put in their social fund for a few drinks the next time they go out.

16/06/2008 08:08 - Miscellaneous
How much is always the dilemma. You don´t want to look stingy but it all adds up. If I was buying the gift on my own, I would spend about €15 on the book token. However if you can it´s better to club together, spending about €10 each - it costs you less but the teacher might get a more useful present overall.

I also end up buying end-0f-year chocolates/flowers for the extra curricular teachers outside of school, e.g. drama, piano etc. Am I the only mad one who does this?

re : Gifts for Teacher           reply
18/06/2008 09:49 - Miscellaneous
I am a teacher and I´d just like to say that there is no need at all for parents to buy presents for us- we get paid and that´s enough! If you want to show your appreciation a thank you card is more than adequate or better still TELL the teacher why you appreciate what they have done- it wont cost you anything and as a teacher, there´s nothing nicer than hearing what you´ve done right! We tend to hear what we´ve done wrong more often! Have a lovely summer and keep your money in your pocket! ;)

12/06/2008 15:30 - Miscellaneous
Just wondering how much to spend on a book voucher?? Any ideas?

08/06/2008 18:45 - Miscellaneous
Hi Kate,
I would agree, In our school they ask you to be discrete with any gifts to teachers and book tokens are easy to pass quietly to the teacher.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;