Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Gaeltacht suddenly cancelled - what to do with teen for 3 weeks in June?

Gaeltacht suddenly cancelled - what to do with teen for 3 weeks in June?           reply
05/05/2016 20:21 - Summer Camps
-----------------------------------
The Irish College that my daughter was booked into since last December has cancelled - exactly one month before it was due to start. They say it´s due to lack of numbers - which sounds completely unplausible given that I´ve spent the evening trawling the web and ringing around and all other gaeltachts are fully booked for June. They´ve offered the following course in July but we´ve already booked to be out of the county then.

So any suggestions are welcome on what to do to prevent a teen from moping about the house for 3 weeks while we´re at work.

Argh!!

re : Gaeltacht suddenly cancelled - what to do with teen for 3 weeks in June?           reply
09/05/2016 09:16 - Summer Camps
Check out our list of teen camp providers using the link below - quite a few of them run camps in June though not too many residential ones.
http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/Teen-Camps

Might also be worth checking out European Language Courses (ELC.ie) who run quite a few residential language courses for students in locations around Ireland - they do french, spanish and german

re... : Gaeltacht suddenly cancelled - what to do with teen for 3 weeks in June?           reply
06/05/2016 10:56 - Summer Camps
Thanks for the empathy, Paula. Mostly I just felt like a rant! I can´t believe we´ve been let down so unexpectedly.
To answer your questions: My daughter is currently finishing 1st year and, while we´re based in North Co Dublin, I´ll happily bring her anywhere in the country for a residential course - any language, any activity! I´ll probably end up using local course and playing it by ear from week to week, at this stage.
PITA!

re : Gaeltacht suddenly cancelled - what to do with teen for 3 weeks in June?           reply
06/05/2016 00:55 - Summer Camps
Hey hun,
I would probably cry lol
Ok maybe there are local ones to you - summer camps?
What age is the teen and where are you based??
Paula

discussion forum terms & conditions

;