Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Expensive Flights & Hotels During School Holidays. So Unfair.

re... : Expensive Flights & Hotels During School Holidays. So Unfair.           reply
30/11/2011 15:07 - School holidays / Inservice
-----------------------------------
Although hiking up the prices of flights during the school holidays might seem unfair, you can see how it makes business sense.
Airlines are in it for the money, not the ethics. It is simple supply and demand. Planes flying outside of the holidays may be full too but that is often because the number of flights has been reduced according to the reduction in demand.
One answer to hotels that we´ve used recently is www.wimdu.co.uk. They have an excellent international network and a good range of prices. Used that site for the last 4 holidays and been pleased each time! :)

re... : Expensive Flights & Hotels During School Holidays. So Unfair.           reply
30/06/2015 16:54 - School holidays / Inservice
Parents asked for holidays to be standardised so that they could plan their holidays . As soon at the standardisation happened the holidays, and flights went up in price.Pre standardisation this was not the case.

03/11/2010 13:56 - School holidays / Inservice
As a matter of interest, I did some brief research on the prices of flights during mid-term break and they were very much inflated, by comparison to the week before and after.

re : Expensive Flights & Hotels During School Holidays. So Unfair.           reply
04/12/2010 23:30 - School holidays / Inservice
Well I suppose it´s what all teachers have to put up with every year especially now there are standardised holidays. Teachers´ families never get to avail of reduced travel prices.
I have to say though I wouldn´t let a child´s demand for full attendance stop me booking a holiday that involved him missing a day or two. He´ll get over it on the plane on the way to somewhere exciting!

Expensive Flights & Hotels During School Holidays. So Unfair.           reply
02/11/2010 00:02 - School holidays / Inservice
My son is on full attendance and never wants to miss a day of school, which is great. The annoying part is that the day the schools close for holidays, all flights and hotels seem to jump in price. I would hate to take children out of school but we won´t be able to afford a holiday next year, let alone much else, it seems.

10/03/2011 10:36 - School holidays / Inservice
I´ve taken my kids out of school for cheaper flights, and the planes are still full, so its not like there´s less demand, its just that they know they can get away with it. There should be some sort of regulations.

re : Expensive Flights & Hotels During School Holidays. So Unfair.           reply
02/11/2010 23:54 - School holidays / Inservice
It´s all about supply and demand. Airlines and hotels sell seats and beds cheaply during times of low demand but hike the prices when they know demand is higher. Not very fair but it´s the law of economics.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;