Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Divorce settlement between partners need help

Divorce settlement between partners need help           reply
08/03/2015 18:53 - Ask Mother Hen (Locality: Dublin North)
-----------------------------------
Hi,
I have apartment on mortgage with my husband and a 3yr old son. We are heading for divorce, my husband want to keep my son but he is not doing thing for my son, like I work- but cook, feed and give bath to my son. I take care of my son and all his activities. But my husband want to keep him even if he is not able to manage him. He is asking for 50% of the apartment share to leave the house before the divorce - what should I do, I don´t have that much money and worries about my son too :-(. if I keep my son, i will have problems managing my full time job and won´t be able to save money for the divorce. I donno what to do. My husband says he will not leave the house unless i pay him. I need the house as it is expensive now to get it and I don´t trust my husband tomorrow he might leave my son again with me, i will need a house to take care of him. Please help me

re : Divorce settlement between partners need help           reply
27/03/2015 23:26 - Ask Mother Hen
-----------------------------------
Dear Amy,
Try to remain calm - there is help available. You have options don´t panic or be panicked into making rash decisions.
Firstly, to divorce in Ireland the married couple needs to be living apart and separately for 4 out of the past 5 years. If this is not the case you can get a judicial separation or a separation agreement. See Family Law information on Courts website http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/1A0DBBC6D78F2FF38025743C005537FB?opendocument&l=en&p=045
I would suggest you contact your local citizen´s advice centre and ask for information on the nearest Free Legal Advice Centre (FLAC). Make an appointment to see the solicitor at the weekly sessions- but remember some solicitors don´t have family law experience however most will know the basics. Sessions only last 10 to 15 minutes so have your questions written down. You can go back as many times as you like.
Go to your local library and get some books out about divorce/separation in Ireland. Educate yourself.
If you are still on good enough terms with your husband perhaps you could try mediation. See Legal Aid Board information http://www.legalaidboard.ie/lab/publishing.nsf/content/Family_Mediation_Service. Again this is free and you can self refer but there is a waiting list.
There may be community based mediation in your area which is a low cost option. Citizen´s Information may be able to give you information about this.
I wish you the best of luck.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;