Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Democratic Schools-schools of trust

Democratic Schools-schools of trust           reply
19/04/2013 04:47 - Parents Associations
-----------------------------------
Hi Everyone,

Have you ever heard of democratic schools? These schools are places of trust, love and acceptance where individuality, creativity, freedom and independence is nurtured. I want to start a democratic school in Ireland and right now I´m looking for others who might be interested in this idea.

This is an inspirational video clip about democratic schools
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfHrgRITnVM

Brigitta

re... : Democratic Schools-schools of trust           reply
23/07/2014 17:51 - Parents Associations
Hello Joanne,
Could I also be added to that email list? I recently completed a degree in Early Childhood Care and Education and I have a long standing interest in democratic education. I´d love to be abreast of the movement in Ireland and to support it in any way I can.

11/05/2014 08:17 - Parents Associations
Hi Joanne
Wondering if you have moved to Ireland. We are looking to start Democratic education here. Looking for interested families. also connecting with homeschooling families. Carol 0863894612

18/02/2015 17:12 - Parents Associations
Good to hear from you Eylo,
You´ve been busy it seems. :-)
I have not heard of the forest school but it looks interesting.
I have added your email to the list.
All the best,
Joanne

27/11/2014 14:23 - Parents Associations
Hello Eylo,
Thanks for your post, I´m only getting it now. It somehow didn´t show in my inbox.
Which projects have you researched in Spain? I used to live in the north. Democratic schools I´ve heard of there are ´Ojo de agua´ and ´Tximeleta´ though I had no direct involvement in either. Both are listed on the following website;
http://www.eudec.org/
I don´t know of courses or meetings for you to attend but if you like I can add your name to the list we´ve been slowly gathering and keep you informed of any happenings.
Joanne

re : Democratic Schools-schools of trust           reply
15/06/2013 12:06 - Parents Associations
Hi Brigitta,
I have a 12 year old son who attended a democratic school in Seattle (http://clearwaterschool.com/) from 2004 until 2011. There is a good possibility I´ll be moving back to Ireland Oct 2013. I would love to know of any interest in democratic/freeschools in Ireland or any small groups that may have already begun.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Joanne

re : Democratic Schools-schools of trust           reply
28/09/2014 14:26 - Parents Associations
Hello. My name is Eylo and I live in Clonakilty, Westcork.
I am an early child care teacher. I´ve worked in a Montessori school for two years and also in a Waldorf schoo(Peru).
I am very interested in alternative methods of teaching such as the democratic school, and I´ve been researching few projects in Peru and Spain.
I would like to know more about democratic schools and free schools. Do you know if there is any courses or meetings I could assit to?
Thank you for your help

18/02/2015 17:03 - Parents Associations
Sorry for the late response.
In spain I visited el O Pelouro in Galicia and i watched some videos of ojos de agua,Paideia in Merida and another one in Barcelona. last year i was in Perú and i visited some projects there, i didn´t visit the Nueva cecilia(Argentina) or Rebeca`s and Mauricio wild school (Ecuador) but i saw some videos and read about them
It will be great if you can put me down in the email list. My email is Eyloblanco@gmail.com
I feel like i want to have more information and I was thinking of doing the course of forest schooling. What do you think about that course?
Thank you for your help

13/10/2015 20:50 - Parents Associations
Hello everyone! I just came across this thread by googling democratic schools in Ireland...VERY interested for my children! We live in the Limerick / Tipperary area...also interested in the Steiner school but its too far away from us is there any news? Regards, Katharina

17/07/2014 00:47 - Parents Associations
Hi, I´m from Germany, but have been to Ireland so many times. I would like to live and work in Ireland some day (soon) and I am interested in democratic education. Since I have not yet come across a democratic school in Ireland I was quite unsure whether founding and running a democratic school is possible in Ireland at all.
Still interested I´m just after finding this encouraging thread, so I thought I should add my bit to it :-)
As a short introduction let me say that I have been working at Neue Schule Hamburg in Germany and have co-founden Infinita school close to Hamburg, both of which are democratic schools.
My plans for now are gathering some more experience at democratic schools that have been running for longer than a couple of years (like Summerhill or similar schools in Australia, New Zealand and Canada). That means that in about 3 years (hopefully) I will be ready to start (or aply for) a democratic school in Ireland. That would then be two dreams of mine to come true.
By the way, I have a friend here in Germany who is an educater herself. Having been living in England for a while she knows English, having had a son at a democratic school she is absolutely fond of democratic education and maybe she might be willing to join, too ;-)
Hoping to keep in touch,
Fabian

22/07/2014 17:23 - Parents Associations
Hello Fabian,
Thanks for your message. It´s nice to read about your interest in democratic education and Ireland.
I have met with Carol (also in this thread) who is very interested in getting a school started in Ireland. Her email is carolkimnavan@gmail.com and my email is joanneplane@gmail.com
We are talking about a possible group skype call and maybe starting a discussion at the homeschool conference coming up in August 2014. I´d be happy to include your email in any lists created if you´re interested.
I wish you luck in your ongoing experience in democratic education.
Warmly,
Joanne

15/12/2014 15:35 - Parents Associations
Hi Maura,
Can you send me a message to my email account at joanneplane@gmail.com
That way I´ll have a record of your email.
Have you found any interest in freeschool/democratic schools in the Sligo area? I was sorry to miss this event in 2013;
http://www.sligoschoolproject.ie/?page_id=997
Joanne

23/07/2014 18:15 - Parents Associations
Sure Angela, can you send me your email to the address I gave in my previous post? Where do you currently live?
Joanne

11/05/2014 10:31 - Parents Associations
Hi Carol,
I am in Ireland (Clonmel) though hoping to return to Seattle later this year if I can organize a work visa. I´d love to know what interest there already is in Democratic schooling here in Ireland.
I have your number and will try calling you later today or during the week.
My number is 0863603658
Until later,
Joanne

12/12/2014 18:54 - Parents Associations
Hi Joanne,
I just came across this thread as I was looking for information on freeschooling in Ireland. I´m in Sligo and homeschool my children. I am very interested in any developments in Ireland. Thanks, Maura

29/11/2016 06:47 - Parents Associations
I´m excited to see there is a well established group that has already started a democratic school in Bray/South Dublin. Here is their website;
https://wicklowsudburyschool.com/
A recent artlice;
https://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/11/23/a-school-with-no-classes-and-no-curriculum/
Joanne (a keen observer living in Seattle).

discussion forum terms & conditions

;