Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Daughter hurt in school

Daughter hurt in school           reply
01/06/2010 08:32 - Ask Mother Hen (Locality: Kildare)
-----------------------------------
My 5 year old daughter was kicked between the legs yesterday.
I only discovered this when I was washing her this morning and she would not let me touch her.
I am horrified that this happened and she did not tell me.
I was so angry with the boy that did it. She said the boy asked her not to tell the teacher so she didn´t.
I have told her that if it happens again she is to tell the teacher no matter what the boy says.
I have sent a note in with her asking if I can talk to the teaacher when I collect her later in the week. There was also an incident last week where some boys made up song that included a line calling my daughter fat.
I don´t want to appear like an overprotective mother, however, I will not have my daugther getting hurt in school.
How do I approach this with the teacher.

re : Daughter hurt in school           reply
01/06/2010 09:15 - Ask Mother Hen
That behaviour is totally unacceptable! You should speak to the teacher as soon as you can and let her know what happened. The fact that your daughter was sore indicates that it was a pretty severe kick - that is a very serious matter. Ask the teacher to deal with this matter urgently - the boy should be told that this is unacceptable and his parents should also be informed of his outrageous behaviour. With regard to the song, bullying comes in many shapes and forms and jeering your daughter in a song is bullying. The teacher and school need to get involved and nip this in the bud.
Please let us know how you get on.

re... : Daughter hurt in school           reply
01/06/2010 10:52 - Ask Mother Hen
Thank you mother Hen.
I rang the school after I posted this morning. Spoke to the principal who will go and talk to the teacher and the class.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;