Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Daily

Daily           reply
17/09/2015 19:43 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Meath)
-----------------------------------
Trying to figure out cost of childcare , anyone please advise market rate for unregistered childminder, Meath, I have no ideas.
Note that I would be choosing a mammy most likely who may not be registered childminder

2 kids, 5 days a week
In childminders home
1 is a baby of 9 months
1 is a 3.5 yo who needs to be brought to and from playgroup 3 mornings 9am-12
Food to be provided by childminder
Hours 7am-5pm

Ideas?

re... : Daily           reply
18/09/2015 12:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks so much for that info. I have to say I am shocked! Although I value the work done by childminders that´s still 1600 a month which is almost double my mortgage. That is really cost prohibitive and I very much doubt I could afford to go back to work on that rate. 8euro an hour sounds very fair but it really adds up 😣

re : Daily           reply
18/09/2015 07:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Rates are €5 an hr average for one, €8 an hour for two but can be up to €9.50 if only 10% discount sibling discount given...however dare I say it for these rates one should be registered, insured, first aid, garda vetted etc. I´m not saying she doing less of a job or indeed might be better but fact is she´s not prepared offer an insured environment to protect your kids not to mention protect her own family.
Have you looked at Childminding Ireland and your County childcare committe for any registered childminder in your area. It´s very easy for a childminder to declare income and if not full childminding insurance, at least mind two off her house insurance, fully covered in the house. Check all paperwork.
If all parents refused use an unregistered childminder theyd soon register.
Also how many kids has she got...she should not have more than three preschoolers at any one time, four or five she needs to register with tusla and if she´s not it´s actually illegal. Afterschoolers ratio 1:8 kids in total, which I myself think is to many!
The greatest issue with unregistered childminders is when theyv to do school runs as a domestic car policy will not cover your kids...there will be a paper trail in the school theyv to collect child...when I first started picking up ecce child I´d to sign release form for first five times as creche policy...my local playschool don´t have this policy but ones name is on enrolment form in office...it´s totally different to granny or a friend down as collecting...iv read of case where insurance company went to a local shop and asked where Mrs X the childminder lives...shop gave directions...
Hope this helps as it´s a tough decision to sort childcare.

re : Daily           reply
18/09/2015 07:21 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just another point most childminders will have own rates, has she not or is this her first time childminding. Draw up a clear contract as first time inexperienced childminders often underprice as don´t realise the work involved... Youv only to read here and other forums to see this.

re... : Daily           reply
18/09/2015 15:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Yes it all adds up but it´s also alot of work and responsibility...price around and see how you get on, some childminders will offer a discount...childcare is only needed fulltime for a few years so there is light at end of tunnel...

discussion forum terms & conditions

;