Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Cycling to school- it makes sense but I'm scared to let him

re... : Cycling to school- it makes sense but I´m scared to let him           reply
03/11/2010 18:20 - Miscellaneous
-----------------------------------
Thank you for your opinions.

re... : Cycling to school- it makes sense but I´m scared to let him           reply
03/11/2010 08:48 - Miscellaneous
I am very environmentally conscious and would love the idea of using the bicycles a lot more. What a pity that more cycle lanes weren´t put in during the Celtic Tiger!

03/11/2010 00:11 - Miscellaneous
I cycled with my children for a week but gave up because my heart was in my mouth. I thought it was going to be the start of a whole new way of life but sadly, it was simply too dangerous. It´s safer to walk, if possible, even if it takes longer.

03/11/2010 00:16 - Miscellaneous
I would love to allow my children cycle to & from school as they have the bikes, helmets and all the gear. I guess it isn´t feasible without cycle lanes.

03/11/2010 18:30 - Miscellaneous
I cycle to school with my daughter but we are lucky as we can take a route that avoids busy roads. That is an exceptional case it seems.

Cycling to school- it makes sense but I´m scared to let him           reply
02/11/2010 09:08 - Miscellaneous
Just wondering what others do. My son (primary school) wants to cycle to school. We live in a busy urban area. It would be very much in line with my Green Agenda but I´m scared. There are not enough cycle lanes to satisfy me and I´m just not sure how much I trust him on the roads yet.

re : Cycling to school- it makes sense but I´m scared to let him           reply
02/11/2010 14:39 - Miscellaneous
I can understand why you´d feel nervous. Wouldn´t be too keen myself. Depending on your circumstances, could you cycle with him (have u a bike?) for a week or two to monitor how he gets on and then decide whether you will let him go on his own.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;