Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Boarding Schools, what do you think?

re : Boarding Schools, what do you think?           reply
23/11/2006 14:35 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi Amber
Maybe you saw it, but there was a full page article this week (tues) in the Irish Times on Boarding Schools talking about some of the pros & cons, the top schools and the fees (fairly exhorbitant). You might find some of the info useful. I don´t have a teenage boy myself so can´t really advise you. I do have a nephew who similarly scraped his junior cert and didn´t seem at all focussed on school. He didn´t appear to take the leaving cert all that more seriously and yet produced a reasonable leaving cert and is now doing Arts in University so I don´t think the junior cert is necessarily and indicator of how things will turn out. If you do decide to go down the road of Boarding School it might be an idea to bring him to visit it first and get a feel for the place and let the idea grow on him a little more. Again I know someone in Dublin who put their son into boarding school (only two miles from them) for 5th and 6th year for very similar reasons to yours - structured study, focus etc and it worked out very well but their teenager was quite happy to go so that may be a significant difference. Good luck with your decision.

Boarding Schools, what do you think?           reply
23/11/2006 10:11 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hello there, Hoping I can get some advice. I have a 16 year old who is currently in transition year. Although he is not troublesome in any way he does little or no homework and scraped through his junior cert. Some of his friends are older than him, one has even started college this year and I am concerned that he will become even more distracted over the next three years prior to leaving cert. As a single parent I am worried that I wont be able to "control" what is turning into a grown man. We have discussed boarding school but he is not keen on the idea at all, to say the least. The question is, should I just go ahead and organise it and give him no option but to go? I dont want to make him unhappy but I think in the long term he would benefit. Really stuck on this decision so your advice would be really appreciated.

re... : Boarding Schools, what do you think?           reply
16/12/2006 14:01 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Amber,

I know you want the best for your son but to force him into something he really does not want will only lead to more disharmony. It is far better that you persuade him to at least look at and explore options with you. The main thing is that you as a parent must be an active one but at the same time not an unreasonable one. Enlist the support of family and friends in helping to resloves this dilemma and in supporting your son. Help him to achive his aspirations which may be very different to yours! Good luck and let us know how it goes

All the best for Christmas and New year,

Frances

discussion forum terms & conditions

;